Qualification for bilateral IRE/UK state pension

billb

My wife returned to Ireland 10 years ago having worked in the UK for 20 years but hasn't worked since.

She had 6 months of Class PRSI contributions in Ireland before leaving and 20 years of NI contribution from whilst she was in the UK.

Looking at the rules for Bilateral state pensions it states

"the second qualifying condition is altered in that Irish social insurance contributions and social insurance contributions in the EU country/countries or a bilateral agreement country can be combined for the purpose of satisfying the condition of having 156 contributions paid. However, there must be at least 52 contributions, of which at least one must be paid, in Ireland and in the EU country/countries or the bilateral agreement country"

Does this mean that she has to work in Ireland for another 6 months before she can qualify for an Irish state pension using her combined contributions ?

She had 6 months of Class PRSI contributions in Ireland before leaving and 20 years of NI contribution from whilst she was in the UK.

Has she got a statement from DSP?

I was surprised to learn that I had PRSI stamps from a teenage job in a pub that I'd forgotten about.

Also if you haven't, look into voluntary UK NI contributions which are very good value.

Unfortunately, having stamps from long ago is a disadvantage and not an advantage in the Irish State pension - your pension depends on the average contribution over your working life and your working life starts from your first stamp/PRSI contribution

I have a similar query. A married couple moved to work and live in Canada 13 years ago. Now contemplating moving back to Dublin. He is 69. She is 61. Both would have worked for the HSE prior to leaving for around 10 years. Would they qualify for some/ part of the state pension on relocation ? She might work here again perhaps on short term contracts. Him less likely to do so as he would like to retire.

Unfortunately, having stamps from long ago is a disadvantage and not an advantage in the Irish State pension - your pension depends on the average contribution over your working life and your working life starts from your first stamp/PRSI contribution

Thanks for the reply but I think her average contributions will be OK because of the Homemaker's Scheme and her 20 years of UK contributions
I'm more concerned about the minimum PRSI contributions as it appears that you have to have made 260 contributions before you can buy voluntary ones.

Has she got a statement from DSP?

I was surprised to learn that I had PRSI stamps from a teenage job in a pub that I'd forgotten about.

Also if you haven't, look into voluntary UK NI contributions which are very good value.

She got a statement which said she has 23 contributions from her teens and I agree that topping up her UK contributions could be an idea but doesn't help with the potential issue of the 52 minimum PRSI contributions

We received confirmation from the welfare office that 52 Irish contributions are needed to qualify for an IE/UK bilateral pension

Back