Q re iPod file format

monkey0804

I hope to buy music loving husband an iPod nano 16gb for christmas. He is old school (sort of like me) and isn't into downloading music from interent, loves his huge CD collection and loves having the sleeve/cover etc to check out. He recently uploaded heaps of his music to PC to make music for a party which are in .wma format.

So my two questions are 1. Can an ipod be used to uploaded CD music files rather than downloaded music files?

2. If yes to above can .wma files be uploaded to iPod or does he need to upload them again intoi a different format in itunes?

1. iTunes can be used to "rip" your CDs into the iTunes library and then uploaded to your iPod
2. When adding existing music files to your iTunes library iTunes will automatically convert them to a format that can be played on your iPod. This may take some time but it will work.

Hope this helps.

2. If yes to above can .wma files be uploaded to iPod or does he need to upload them again intoi a different format in itunes?

Just on that point. If he's already converted some albums on his pc into wma, they sometimes do transfer to iTunes, but won't go onto the iPod. However sometimes they just won't go into itunes.

If he doesn't mind just ripping the cds again through iTunes, then it won't be a hassle. But if it's quite a few tracks and he can't be bothered they may need converting before hand.

If they are recognised by iTunes, then it's easy enough to convert them to an iTunes format. However, if it were me I'd just import the cds again as the quality is very poor when you convert from wma into another format.

Back