Q Re credit card refund if company goes bust

DiGiTaL

Couple of questions I was hoping ye could help me with please.

1) We booked a room in a hotel for this Saturday night in Dublin about 4 weeks ago with credit card through 1800hotels. We have just heard that this company has gone bust and the hotel has no record of our booking. Is there a way to get this money back through our credit card company.(MBNA)

2) We are getting married this November and we have booked our honeymoon with an online travel agency with a good reputation. We have already paid a deposit of over €1000 on this. We need to pay the balance by the end of september. What is the best way to pay this in order to protect ourselves should the same happen to this company. Will the cc company protect our money if I pay by this method? Is there an insurance I can take out? Is there a way to check how a company is performing or what their outlook is?

Hope I have explained myself properly and really appreciate any advice that people have on the subject. The balance to be paid for honeymoon is quite substantial and we have been saving for a long time so would hate for it all to go wrong.

Any questions please ask.

You can ring the MBNA and ask them to chargeback the transaction. There shuldn't be an issue. You will have to provide evidence you booked the room.

For bank of Ireland CC holders, I called the CC enquiry line and they gave the following instructions.
(1) Get email confirmation from hotel that room booking has been canceled
(2) Post hotel cancelation confirmation, purchase receipt from 1800 and a note from yourself authorising the chargeback to address below. (Presume you need to reference your card and date the charge appeared on your statement also???)

bank of ireland chargeback
2nd floor operations centre
cabinteely
dublin 18

No idea how long it will take. I also gave the hotel my sob story and they kindly gave me a discounted rate cheaper than original total. Score....