Pyrite - % of house price paid in 'overheads'

R

raytomany

Hello,
My house has got pyrite in its foundations, meaning that they have to be excavated and relaid, at a cost of €40,000 or more.

I'm trying to find out how much of the price of the house in 2006 went in 'overheads' such as stamp duty, VAT, and the mandatory house insurance. I paid €375,000 for the new house back then. I'd like to know, as it would help the case in arguing that there should be some form of consumer protection when buying a house, in return for having to pay these overheads. At least as much as when buying a toaster.

If anyone can point me at a source of info for this, or has worked it out before, I'd be grateful for info.

Thanks
Ray

Have you gone the Homebond route yet?

That was my first thought. But they are not accepting liability.

mf

That's right, Homebond are denying liability (ie they cover major structural defects for up to 10 years -unless its a major structural defect, within 10 years) :-(

Hi. Contractor in Enfield dug out and relaid (think underpinning is term) 4 bed semi-d houses with pyrite in Glen Abhainn for 20000 or less. Did a good job, but of course you still have to re-floor downstairs etc. Don't have his contact details to hand, but can get if you need-pm me or post here.

Thanks, I think that's Pat McGuire (PMB Construction)? I went to see his work in Glen Abhainn, looks good all right. He quoted me €28K for my house excluding flooring, redecorating etc or €40K all in.

I presume this was a new home if you paid VAT in the price. If that's the case you might be able to sue your builder if he's still around. You could kick up a fuss with your engineer, but chances are that his report explicitly states that he was not able to check non-visible elements of the structure. If it was a second hand home, I doubt you have any comeback, as it was a non-commercial exchange.

As for the relevance of paying stamp duty or VAT, you do not inherit any rights from the state on paying those. In fact you do not inherit any rights at all any more than you would have under normal consumer protection.

Thanks. It was a new build but the builder is bust, Homebond deny responsibility, we can't prove fill for a particular house came from a particular quarry. I am just trying to get information together to help with our case.

Normal consumer protection is what I am after, and given that there was none I would like to work out how much tax I had to pay. These taxes should imply governance of some sort was in place, similar to your rights as a consumer when buying a TV or a toaster.

So if there was some way of working out just how much of the purchase price was VAT, stamp duty, insurance etc. then we could use that fact to help with our case. I don't know that it will make a difference, but who knows, can't hurt!

Ray,

Sorry to hear of your Pyrite problem. I am in the same boat. It's pretty soul destroying.

You may have already done all of the following but just in case.....

Can I firstly recommend that you make your claim to Homebond ASAP. Your "structural guarantee"....How I laugh as I type those words !! ) is effective for 10 years, but the clock effective stops when you make your claim, and it costs nothing. I can't emphasise enough that anyone who reasonably suspects a problem with pyrite should make their claim to Homebond NOW ( or sooner!! ) . Please excuse the bold type but this is crucial....

Secondly, have a look at the Pyrite Action page on Facebook if you have it. It's a non-political group set up by Peter and Sandra Lewis to try to get something done. They have already presented to the Joint Houses of the Oireachtas so they have substantial pedigree....

Thanks, yes this is good advice. In my case Homebond have confiormed that I do have pyrite. I have been to Pyrite Action meetings and Peter & Sandra are doing a great job. They've had to move in with relatives in Kildare and commute back to Dublin, not easy with a young child.

I just would like to work out the % of the house price that went on Government-mandated overheads, such as stamp duty (6% I thnk in my case) VAT and insurance, as a point to make when we look for help in fixing our homes.

I am 50/50 with Dublin City Council. In house 6 years - Having trouble 5years - Pyrite confirmed last year. Really annoying waking up to cracked walls, warped frames, uneven floors and worktops etc etc etc.. Had enough. Stopped paying in February..... Told house could be taken from me if i continue to not to pay... Is that supposed to scare me.... It wasn't the councils fault in my opinion... Well maybe fractionally if they were supposed to do inspections but deffo not my fault so they can have the kip....

I have a lot of sympathy for you, you've been shafted, but I don't get your logic about the VAT.

Consumer protection legislation does exist, if you buy a toaster or a house.
But, if I buy a toaster and it breaks down the next day and the shop has gone out of business, consumer protection legislation does not help me. I have a broken toaster and no-one to get my money back from.

I hope you keep up your fight to get compensated by Homebond and I wish you well.

Hi raytomany i know this is a old post but i have just found out i have pyrite. Did you get aywhere? Thanks