PVC panel cracked - can it be repaired?

Mel

There is a panel underneath my back door, it's made of pvc.
There is a large crack in it as if someone kicked it at some stage.

I want to know if there's a way to repair this, e.g. to patch it up with a tape or some sort of hard-setting paste (e.g. silicone or similar)?
I'm not sure how easy it would be to replace, and to be honest funds are pretty tight at the moment anyway.

I'm planning to paint the door with a pvc primer that I've bought, and then change the colour, and do the same with this panel, so the repair could hopefully be disguised.

Hi sueellen,
It's not a panel on the door - it sits beneath the door frame and there is solid concrete about an inch behind it, I'm not sure what it's there for except to fill a gap?
It wouldn't be a security issue.

Epoxy paste is the hard filler you are thinking of... it's a two part mix which hardens very hard..

Araldite is one brand name, there are many, probably 10 to 25 Euro for a smallish tube.

Oh very good, thanks.
Is it easy to apply as a smooth finish?

Yes, Epoxy could be smoothed when applied with a wet finger etc... it would likely take between 20 minutes and 1 hour to cure.

Epoxy wouldn't be suitable as a volume filler... if there is a large area to be filled and it is external then you would be better off using some type of polyurethane based gap filling foam filler type stuff.... there should be a few options..

So it's epoxy for a small volume, i.e matchbox sized at most...
and gap filling foam filler (probably polyurethane) for larger volumes, up to shoebox sized but not shaped like a shoebox... i.e a fairly long wide-ish crack.,,

It should be possible to smooth all products either when applied, or when dry

Cheers

Ok, it's a fairly long crack so I'll go for the foam filler.
Thanks again!

Back