Putting up timber fencing -how?

kcat

Well, We've just an overlapy 6x6 timber fencing and timber posts from O'Kellys. We had arranged some people to put the fencing up but they cant make it now so we've decided to give it a go ourselves. Neither of us are very DIY orientated but nor are we afraid of hard or dirty work.

So, i guess my question is what exactly do we need to do in terms of:
1. do the timber stakes need to sunk into cement or is sinking about 2ft into soil enough?
2. How do we attach the fencing to the posts? is it nailed through to it?
3. Any other major things that i'm not thinking off??????

total novice!

Re: Putting up timber fencing -how???

rent a petrol post hole augur from your local hire shop.
posts should be 1/3 in teh ground, 2/3 above
dry mix cement/hardcore works well ramped up slightly on the post.
You can clip the panels to the inside face of post or put battens on front and back of inside face. Clips work well.

Good way is to make up a 6x6 frame from 2x1 and this weekend use that to place your posts moving from one to the next. This way you won't upset the already fixed posts. Pull string between first and end point for straight line. Don't worry about post height as you can cut it off when the actual panels are placed.

Fit your panels next weekend after posts have set.

Good device you could pick up is a book like spirit level which gives you a four way reading when placing posts.

thanks davidoco,

alot of information there....just a few questions.
1. what are the clips exactly?
2. 'dry mix cement/hardcore works well ramped up slightly on the post.'' -dont understand what you mean here?
3. Dont get this either...''Good way is to make up a 6x6 frame from 2x1 and this weekend use that to place your posts moving from one to the next. This way you won't upset the already fixed post''

wasnt lying when i said total novice!

ramped up slightly on the post

Dig hole, insert post, overfill with concrete and smooth concrete in a cone shape around the post back to ground level.

Clips

see here [broken link removed]

6x6 of 2x1

You will find it difficult to get the spacing correct for the posts so a lightweight frame the size of the panel that you can move along as you do the posts will help. You don't want a heavy panel disturbing post 2 when doing post 4. Note you should not be putting the panels on the posts unless the post has set. Putting up post 1, post 2, panel 1, post 3, panel 2 is a receipe for disaster.

Would you need to treat the part of the post that goes into the ground. Creosote or something like that?

Would you need to treat the part of the post that goes into the ground. Creosote or something like that?

the father told me that the timber would rot in concrete alright so interested to hear the response to that!

You would, of course, be buying pressure treated timber anyhow but I guess a coat of creosote would do no harm. I took up a fence last year that had been in a dry mix of concrete for the past five years and no obvious deterioration of the wood below ground. They were pressure treated 4x4.

On the point of putting up the posts first you would have to be accurate hence the lightweight template, but if you did put the panels in one by one you would need loads of lengths of timber to prop the fence before you settle down for the night and any wind that evening or next day may disturb the fence. Note you are using a dry mix or very lightly wetted mix, which will harden quickly. Use the template and if your accuracy is out the window with the level especially left to right put a panel on the flat on the ground between the posts laying flat to ensure at least the bottom is properly spaced. Using a batten either side of the panel when up will cover up any slight mistakes. There is no such forgiveness with the clips.

another idea is get a drain pipe that is roughly a size larger than the posts and put this in the ground with the posts inside it, pour your concrete inside the drain pipe. much stronger cleaner easier etc

Back