Putting up an Electric Gate

laraching

I leave in a small 27 house estate. There are 11 houses in front (along the road) & 16 houses inside. Some of the residents inside want to put up Electric Gate due to some parking issues (which I agree). I know that the houses in front have the right to Park inside the common parking even if they already have front parking spaces (which will fit 2 cars), and since it was not numbered parking (only 24 parking spaces for 15 houses). Most houses have 2 cars each. The front houses does not agree about the Gate. For the reason, that we were making a barrier, but we told them that we are not taking their right to park.

The reason for the gate to put up is to minimise the parking of other estate. Safety of Children playing. minimise breaking into cars of knockers.

My question is, do we have the right to push through about putting up the gate? (for debate purposes)

Depending where you are located planning permission would probobly be required. The various councils seem to be against these enclosed communities.

I also think you will have planning problems. There is a move against 'Gated communities' in Dublin. Other wise I don't see why not, you could give the access code to the houses in front, and change it every one in a while when it leaks out. But I think you will have to settle with hiring a clamping company.

Towger.

I think, if a community is gated off, the Local Authority is not responsible for it any more. This is if they have already taken it in charge. They will not be liable for road repairs, public lighting and grass cutting etc. Worth keeping in mind…

BB

We don't have a proper home owner's association yet. But do you think it will be better to ask the city council or they will say NO about the gate? Is it the numbering of parking spaces will make sense to solve the parking issues?

Back