putting up a tv wall bracket

Sarah

Hi all,

I want to put up a tv wall bracket in the master bedroom. The builders put a tv pipe outlet and a plug socket up at the top of the wall for this purpose i presume but by just looking at the wall im not sure if it would hold a tv/combi as the wall is just plaster board by the sounds of it. Have tried tapping it with a hammer to see if i can find a supporting beam but nothing...so can anyone tell me how i can be sure if the wall will hold the weight of a Tv Combi or how to find the supporting beam(if there is one which i wouldnt be surprised if there wasent judging by the type of builders we have dealt with since buying the house!) The last thing i want to do is put the bracket up only for it to fall down bring half the wall and the tv with it a week later!
Thanks in advance! x

There is a rawplug in woodies, on the packet it says self drill platerboard fixing, get the heavy weight one, you first just screw in the fixing first, then match up bracket and now put screw in

don't know if the raw plug would do the job, depends on the size and weight of the unit. If you look at the skirting board you maybe able to see where the board is nailed onto the beam this would give you the position.

Alternatively you can get a stud finder from any DIY shop which you can run along the wall to locate the edges of the beam.

It is a steel fixing that screws into the plaster board then a screw is then screwed through bracket and into the fixing, have our's tv up year's 21" aswell

thanks for the replies

On buying the bracket we got a guy whos doing presses for us to take a look and seeing as the wall is plasterboard and its a cavity wall it looked a bit dodgy...when he located the beam inside the wall he said that the beam was not big/wide enough to hold the bracket and that with the raw plugs and a toggle!? ....He said more than likely the tv would fall down bringing a big chunk of the wall with it! So it looks like we have to do without the tv upstairs as there is no solid wall in which we can put it up...the only solid wall is the one with built in wardrobes running along the wall so that a no go. Dont really see any other options but to do without a tv upstairs but thats again to everyone for your help!

a question first - is it one of the tv shelf brackets you want to use or a specific one for the tv you have ?

don't try put it up just fixed to the plasterboard - remember the tv will be on a cantilever shelf which will most likely pull the plasterboard away from the wall. what size studs are there in the stud wall ? they would have to be at least 4" * 1,1/2" - more than sufficient to hold one of those tv brackets - there are holes along the centre line and you just need to line those up with the stud and use heavy guage screws to fix it on - at least 75mm * 4,

The bracket is one i bought suitable for a tv/dvd combi. Im not sure about measurements but i think its a no go anyway due to the supporting beams inside the wall not being wide enough.

We put our telly into the wardrobe but, of course, you will lose out on valuable storage space. It used to take up too much space on a free standing unit in the bedroom. It actually fit in quite neatly above the drawers.

Good idea but out wardrobes were build around the bed and unless we practice head swivling exercist style!, that wont work for us but good idea anyway and got my hopes up!

if you're dead set on it - just cut out a piece of the plasterboard and screw another piece of timber to the stud.

Hi , Thanks for all advice. We have decided to put the portable tv on a work top against a wall.

You could always buy a flat screen LCD TV and hand it on the wall. They are not especially heavy and don't take up any space...

You could also attach a wide shelf to the wall which bridges two of the beams. This could be wide enough to incorporate both DVD and TV.

If putting them beside each other would require too long a shelf, you could alternatively attach two smaller parallel shelves.