Putting Someone on a 3 day week.?

bonza1

Not sure if this is the right place for this, apologies if it is not.
We have one employee fulltime with us. We need to put him on a three day week. Having never done this before I am unsure of how to go about this. do I just calculate down his wages per month? Is it that straightforward or is there something I dont know about it? Anyone help? I can find loads of info regarding being put on a 3 day week as the employee, but not from the other side, being the employer. Thanks.

You simply reduce the Gross salary by the appropriate proportion AFAIK, so in this case by 40%. Depending on the employee's tax credits/ std rate cut-off, their net take home pay may not fall by the same proportion.

Thank you. So it seems fairly straightforward. Yes, I have spoken to him, he was on a three day week last year and he didnt seem to think he would be down much. Hate to do it, but better than letting him go totally. Thanks.

Thank you. So it seems fairly straightforward. Yes, I have spoken to him, he was on a three day week last year and he didnt seem to think he would be down much. Hate to do it, but better than letting him go totally. Thanks.

Be sure to give him a letter for Social Welfare to confirm that this is a "short term systematic" arrangement and that you expect to be able to return him to a full working week in the not too distant future. That way his Jobseekers payment will not be taxable income.