Putting Mastick around toilets / sinks

brian.mobile

Putting Mastick around joints of toilets / sinks. I want a nice smoothe job.

Whats the knack in doing it?

I have tried and it and my attempts look awful.

Is there a tool one can use?

BM

I think you need to cut the nozzle of the tube carefully (diagonally and to the appropriate width), make sure to squeeze it out evenly and then smooth off with a wet finger.

You could tape the materials both sides of the joint to prevent it spreading if you can't get it accurate enough.

Use less than you think you need - i.e. cut the nozzle thinner than you'd think, the mess comes from excess, though obviously ensure you've filled the joint. Use a smooth continuous movement with the gun when applying to avoid lumps or excess in certain parts.

As mentioned use a wet finger to seal the joint, dipping finger in washing up liquid helps avoid stickiness, and you can get a little plastic tool to help but I find them useless.

Both the above posters have answered your query but to elaborate on the knack- the real trick is confidence! As suggested cut the nozzle to create a smaller hole than you think is required and press the trigger smoothly and slowly, moving the gun as you do, just before coming to the end of a joint run ease off the "latch" which grips the hexagonal bar to stop the sealant from oozing all over the place when you finish the joint- allowing the last bit of sealant to exit under its own "steam" so to speak. Try practicing on offcuts of tiles before you take on the real job. And here's the best tip I ever came across for using silicone (or any other sealant for that matter): clean down the area with some meths and gently warm the tile/ ceramic ware with a hairdryer before sealing- this ensures an excellent bond for the sealant and it will last longer. Remove excess sealant from hands or tools with white spirit and LOTS of tissue. Using silicone is a skill that's easily acquired with some patience and a bit of practice (on scrap!). Best of luck with it.

Its also better to push the silicone in rather than pull if you know what I mean. Pulling causes the silicone to lift and you end up having to go over it again creating a mess. Hadn't ever heard of using the hairdryer before though.

Just firgured this one out at the weekend............. a small dab of washing up liquid on your finger tip, this gives a very smooth finish along with the advice from above.

Back