Putting kitchen knives in plane luggage

kramer2006

Hi all,

I'm going for a short trip to Boston next month and I'm considering buying some heavy-duty chefs knives as they're much cheaper than in Ireland (surprise, surprise).

Obviously, putting them in hand lugggage is out of the question, but do you think I'd get away with putting them in my checked luggage? Would I have to declare them when checking in? I don't want to risk buying them if there's any chance of having to hand them over before flying.

Would appreciate any replies.
kramer.

Thanks welfarite, I might stock up on some pepper spray and throwing stars while I'm over there so ... :D

I brought some knives back from Japan when over there and as long as the blade was under 6 inches long, they didnt care. They did check though.....

I brought some knives back from Japan when over there and as long as the blade was under 6 inches long, they didnt care. They did check though.....

At what point did they check your knives? During check-in? On arrival in Ireland?

We brought Chefs Knives back from Italy recently in Checked Luggage. Didn't declare them.
Also, last year we bought a cake slicer in Amsterdam Airport and brought it onto the plane in hand luggage. At security at the gate they took it out of the bag a looked at it, but just waved us through.

Back