Putting in power steering

foxylady

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get power steering into a car and where to get it done?

Id imagine if it does not have power steering its probably not worth more than several hundred euro :confused: I could be wrong but it does not seem to make any arithmatical sense to do it......

How long is a piece of string? What car? What year? What model?

Tongue in cheek aside RS2Ks estimate may not be all that far off, though likely on the conservative side.

Any garage will tell you you what we already have; sell the car and buy one with power steering.

If you really have more money to throw away i'll happily put you in touch with a garage that may be willing to do it.... but honestly it's not worth your while.

If your car doesn't have power steering then it's probably worth less than €1500. Sell it and buy one for €3k with power steering.

Which is worth more-power steering or low mileage?

What kind of car is it? I would have thought that power steering isn't a must have on smaller, lighter cars.

How much would you pay for a similar model with similar mileage but with power steering?

I wouldn't have thought you would be getting much of a car for €1,900.

On any car costing €1900 i would take the claimed mileage with a huge pinch of salt. At this point verifiable service history would be of more interest to me although that's quite easy to forge too.

When cars only cost a couple of grand downwards there's nothing better than bringing a reputable independent mechanic along to check the car over.

The mileage is correct and also the service history , it is being bought from a reputable mechanic

I have my doubts, if he was reputable in my terms he'd have been able to advise you on the power steering issue without you having to come on here.

As he's the one selling it to you he's hardly independent either so i'm unsure as to how you've come to the solid conclusion as to the validity or otherwise of mileage and/or service history.

Either way it sounds like you've your mind made up, best of luck with the purchase i hope it goes well for you.

Eurofan said:
I have my doubts, if he was reputable in my terms he'd have been able to advise you on the power steering issue without you having to come on here.

As he's the one selling it to you he's hardly independent either so i'm unsure as to how you've come to the solid conclusion as to the validity or otherwise of mileage and/or service history.

Either way it sounds like you've your mind made up, best of luck with the purchase i hope it goes well for you.

I just forgot to ask about the power steering after thats why I came on here. car only had one previous lady oowner, hence the low mileage

Very low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing; Honest John always extols the virtues of a well used engine.

Leo said:
Very low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing; Honest John always extols the virtues of a well used engine.

Yup couldn't agree more and pleasently surprised to see someone else on here with that understanding. I'd happily buy a 100k mile 8 year old car with verifiable service history than a 30k miles 8 year old car with 'one lady owner'.

Mileage is in my opinion only 20% of the overall decision on a second hand car.

Foxy,
What type of car is it? Just done the same thing on a ford fiesta,was able to get a donor car from a breakers with the right bits on,cost me €100 spent 1 day transfering the steering from one to the other,not a big deal,but as mentioned,buying the necessary parts new from the dealers would be very expensive, a car breaker would be the way to go if you can find a donor car.

springer said:
Foxy,
What type of car is it? Just done the same thing on a ford fiesta,was able to get a donor car from a breakers with the right bits on,cost me €100 spent 1 day transfering the steering from one to the other,not a big deal,but as mentioned,buying the necessary parts new from the dealers would be very expensive, a car breaker would be the way to go if you can find a donor car.

its a peugeuot 106

Ok, i have a few more bits to collect from the breakers yard so i will see if they have anything there,is the car petrol or diesel?

Back