Putting In A Stained Glass Double Glazed Port Hole Window In A Hallway

NOAH

It is my intention to put in a porthole double glazed window in hallway but chatting with builder and engineer today it is a bit more complex than I thought. They went on about preparing the wall for the porthole and totally lost me, they also said it is not so easy to get such a window.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is required and even suggest where I could get such a window.

NOAH

What is there at present - a blank wall?
Same as any other window, you are going to have to provide a lintol over, return the wall somehow, stick in a cill and DPC.
Because it's a porthole, you presumably have to make a cast in situ lintol. (Lintols are normally flat).

I agree, there is a good bit of building work to be done to prepare the window ope for the timber window and it is of most importance to have this done properly. Getting the window is the easy part. They can be done in pvc or timber and usually are around 600mm in diamater. They look very well with a bit of stained glass.

A timber window 600mm in diamater would cost you around the €500 plus vat mark. Glass would be another cost.