Putting Hanging basket brackets on wall - what screws to use

HardyEustace

I'm putting brackets for hanging baskets up. The baskets will be 12" and 16" respectively. Obviously there'll be a massive weight off each basket. Whats the best equipment (well screws and rawl plugs really) for adhering the brackets to the concrete block wall?

Thanks a million in advance for any help

Depends on a lot of things, what type of bracket you're using, its size, number of fixings, spacing of fixing holes etc. But I would have thought as a minimum 3-4 no. fixings per bracket, with say 5x50mm screws, no. 8
plugs (rawlplug bown). 4.5x50 screws would be ok too.

quite agree - this will depend on the wall whether cavity of solid - you may be better asking a neighbour to take a look. This should be a relatively simple answer. The option I gave my brother in cork [me dublin] was tto take some digital pics as a just in case and go to the nearest and worst looking hardware store where 'real' builders actually went [ie not my mammys type of diy store 9.99 for two paper clips for your curtains?!??]
and ask them what he would need. This was more just a safety precaution on my part as a 'just-in-case'. Other than that carpenters advice is spot on!

Oh dear God, all the technical questions.
Now I get to show what a diy idiot I am...
the brackets in question are black iron ones (with curly bits) that I got a bog standard atlantic homecare/ woodies type place.

There's two fixing holes.

The blocks appear to be standard breeze blocks (is that the right term?). Big ugly old concrete blocks.

Thanks again for your help. Hopefully you won't hear any stories of anyone badly injured by a run away hanging basket while sun bathing!

the brackets in question are black iron ones (with curly bits) that I got a bog standard - they should come with standard raw plugs and screws -
if not see carpenters advice
if not - bring bracket and visit the hardware !
dont forget the buy the drill bit
- make sure and put a tape marker on the drill bit[masonary] to a mm short of the depth of the raw plug.

Seriously though, you would want to make sure they are put up properly as (hopefully) there will be some weight in your hanging basket.

I had one out front, put up by other half (ahem) and it was up for about four years. I must have had a knack for making up the baskets, they came out absolutely beautiful. One day, people about 8 doors up were out taking photos of the basket to send to their mother, they were that nice.

Anyway, dont think the other half was that clued in about the weight that was in it, and came out one morning to find the basket sitting on bonnet of car. Luckily, no serious damage done, apart from a few scratches.

Other half blamed me, said it was not supposed to be that heavy. Once the basket is watered, and they need some watering, there will be some weight in it.

sometimes the holes on those type of fittings won't take screws with any kind of diameter...

legend99 said:
sometimes the holes on those type of fittings won't take screws with any kind of diameter...

I'd enlarge the hole with a HSS drill bit to match the screw shank. A couple of 4.5 or 5mm diameter screws should be fit to hold a hanging basket.

Carpenter said:
I'd enlarge the hole with a HSS drill bit to match the screw shank. A couple of 4.5 or 5mm diameter screws should be fit to hold a hanging basket.

manys the times I've had to do it. Even better are curtain rail fittings which I have come accross that barely take a 3mm screw...obviously manufacturers expect you to hang the lightest curtains in the world...

ok we've already established that I've no IDEA what an SDS drill is... whats a HSS drill bit? I'm not making this up I really don't know.

MandaC - didn't realise that there was such an importance attached to hanging baskets, sounds like you've a real knack. Any hints?

Ok, for starters you won't need an SDS bit (SDS-Special delivery system) for a simple job like this. However you will need a standard masonry bit to match the plugs you are using, probably 8mm dia., hammer drill and perhaps a HSS bit (High speed steel- black bit for drilling metals and wood) if you need to enlarge the holes in the bracket. "Offer up" the bracket (trade speak for "position the bracket where you want it) and make sure it is level/ plumb and that fixing holes are making contact with solid blockwork and not a mortar joint (in the case of an unplastered wall- otherwise you won't know!). Mark the holes with pencil and drill, making sure to drill deep enough to accommodate the plugs. Blow all dust from the holes, tap in the plugs, offer up the bracket and screw home the two screws. Tighten up fully, test the bracket for holding power and you're done. If you want to be really clever you could spot in the screws heads with a bit of black paint/ or nail polish- stops the screws rusting over time.