Putrid smell in Astra

staunton

Hope this is in correct forum.
Over the last week my car has quickly started to get a putrid smell.
At first I thought it was just my football boots but the smell got stronger.
I don't think its a dead animal but its very similar its very bad when you get in the car first but after you start driving the smell disappears only to come back when you stop.
I've crawled all over the car trying to find where it comes from found nothing in the engine or under the car from what I could see, I've pulled out all the carpets and junk from the car.
There are no damp patches but think maybe the smell could be from underneath the front passenger seat but the smell is so strong in the car I'm not sure.
I have no children so there wasn't anything spilled in the car.
Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
Was thinking maybe something under the car could be leaking?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as under pressure to get this sorted before new baba comes next week.
Cheers

there could be something in your air con. You can buy a spray to sort this out from micksgarage.ie. It worked for mine.
No connection to the company just happy with service

does it smell like rotten eggs :)

if so then it could be you catalytic converter in the exhaust.

Would be more noticeable on heavy acceleration though.

Car has been recently serviced so don't think its the clutch.
It does smell a bit like rotten eggs alright.
Might bring it to a garage to get that checked out.
Although when I'm driving the smell goes and only comes back when its left still for a while.

Is the smell only present when the engine is running or is it there as soon as you open the door?

Don't wish to be alarmist, but it may be worth checking behind the upholstery on your car doors. I know of a person who had a similar smell problem, and it transpired there was a rat's nest in their car door when they brought it to a garage to be investigated.

The smell is in the car as soon as I open the door.
Will check the doors and panels for rats better not tell the other half about that theory though.
Thanks for all replies.

It happened to me once... and it was a used lunchbox I had forgotten about buried beneath the tones of empty bags I keep in the boot for the groceries shopping.
I guess you already emptied the boot, though, but you never know ;)

Is it strongest first thing in the morning or when the car is closed up for long periods?

If yes, I'd guess it's something that was spilled or left in the car by mistake, like a piece of meat, milk, cheese, etc. Also check for a dead bird/rodent near the air intakes but that smell would probably get worse when the fan is used.

I had a terrible smell in my car that steadily got worse and worse to the point that I nearly had to drive with the windows open. Turned out to be a pound of Clonakilty black pudding in the boot!

The smell is worst when I open the car door after its been sitting there a while, it stays strong until the car starts moving then it dissipates.
I don't think its anything near the air intake as the smell goes away when I'm driving.
Then if I stop the car and just sit in it I can smell it coming back again.
Its bizarre, powerhosed under the car this evening in case there is something dead under there I couldn't see.
Still no joy tho.
Will have to go to a garage I think.
Not sure what they can really do about it though.

Is it losing coolant? It could be slight leak from heater matrix.

I had similar when I spilt something in my boot. Not damp; however smell was awful for a period until I realised where it was coming from and cleaned all the upholstery there.

Just an update on above took car to mechanic he took the seats out and found a damp patch under the carpet under the front passenger seat so said there is a leak somewhere. Haven't found it yet but smell is gone since cold weather is here as water is not evaporating. At least I know I'm not going mad and there is a leak will be sending car back to mechanic when I can spare it and he said he would sort it out. Messy job though taking seats out etc..
Thanks for all replies

Back