Put savings out of reach

moneymakeover

Hi

With interest rates so low the 0% on my current account is as good as any 1% in some long term savings account.

One advantage of a 30 day notice account is the delay accessing the funds.

Is that a good way to avoid spending?

But if I don't give the 30 days notice the penalty is very small...I lose 1% in interest.

What strategies can people suggest given the lack of financial return from deposits?

Because having the cash sitting in the current account is too easy to spend.

Last edited:
I have a chunk of money in Prize Bonds. It's fun to get the prize win in the post every other Wednesday. Lunch on me today......

what I have learned myself:
Credit union not much use for amounts greater than 30k

If you can put money away for 5 full years the 5 year state savings gives 5%

If you need to withdraw after 3 years only get 1% total!
After 4 years only get 2% total!

All fairly miserable

In each case you can get your money after 7 days

I get some money transferred into the company credit union directly out of my salary. I don't see it in my net pay, or in my current account, so tend to forget it's there.

For my credit union
They only allow 30k per person
Last year the dividend was 0.125%
I suppose good as anywhere else

Like Bronco, if I have spare cash in the current account, I put it into prize bonds. Again, more hassle than it's worth to get it out (unless I really need it). And just got another €50 prize last week. :)

What about a Term Deposit account in your bank in Turkey at 15% Gross for 3,6,9, or 12 months with internet banking in your turkish bank so you can control of it in Ireland and transfer it to your irish bank at any time if you feel it
is neccessary.Check it out!!!!

What about a Term Deposit account in your bank in Turkey at 15% Gross for 3,6,9, or 12 months with internet banking in your turkish bank so you can control of it in Ireland and transfer it to your irish bank at any time if you feel it
is neccessary.Check it out!!!!

Yeah, you'll have to change your dosh to Turkish Lira and do the same again when you take it out. Now, go and check the fluctuations in the Turkish currency and anything else that might happen over in that country?

Hi no problem.Changing to liras and back to euros is simplicity itself with excellent exchange rates.Already checked all this over the last 15 years and alright the TL.is in a slightly downward trend.Im undeterred by this.You say "anything else that might happen over in that country".I presume your talking about unrest or warfare.but we have had a war next door here for over 30 years and i think there is at least 30 wars in the world at any given time.so why should that be a factor also the money can be moved home anytime by internet banking.If you break the term you simply forfeit the interest for three months.

Last edited:
I guess the 15% is an attempt to stem the tide of a weak currency

Therefore high risk

But I like the suggestion

What about gold as an investment?

Precious metals, cobalt?

Back