punta cana dominican republic?

blonde

Hi all.
Im thinking of heading to the dominican republic and going to the resort of punta cana.

just wondering if anyone has been or knows much about how popular it is? and also can u go outside your resort or is it a stay inside kind of place?

Im thinking of going in about 3 weeks, which i no is monsoon season but im not worried as ive been to the carribeann lots of times this time of year
cheers people

Great Place, cheap, good food, friendly people etc. The sea is more Atlantic than Carribean, so it can be rough. There are excursions from the resorts, so you can get to see more of the area, but the resorts cater to EVERYHING you could need. Bring a stack of $1 US bills for tips, it goes a long way... even to bend some of the rules like getting into the posh restaurant on resort without a reservation The maids will appreciate tips in the form of things that are hard to come by in the D.R. like school supplies for the kids, crayons, coloring books etc. as well as a few bucks. Have Fun. Popular place for Americans and Canadians.

just a question Blonde - if you have been to the Carribean lots of times why then go to DR ? Cuba, Aruba etc are way ahead.

Be wary of your hotel in Punta Cana - some local hotels were bought over by hotel chains and we had the unfortunate experience of staying in a hotel while it was transfering to the new owners - think of a 2star (although advertised as a 4star) being upgraded to a 4star, not from a construction point of view but the basics - aircon in the room, standard facilities in the room, cleanliness of the pool etc.

hey. ive been to both cuba and aruba and just fancied to try one of the different islands. no particular reason i suppose.

Enjoy Blonde, I agree with Sustanon. We did a trip to Sauni Island I think thats what its called, was fab.

I posted here before why I preferred Cuba over DR

better beaches - Varadero in worlds Top 10
less humid
you can drink the tap water
no mosquito jabs needed

do a search and there are loads of threads on AAM