Pump in well or outside well ?

ennisjim

Hi,
I was wondering if it would be better to have the pump for the well in the well itself or outside. I am building a small pump-house to house treatment system (iron,etc) alongside the well (a couple of metres away) so there is a suitable place for a pump. The pump-in-well has been recommended to me but before I go down that route I would just to check if that is best way to go.
Seems to me a pump outside the well might last longer, be easier to maintain, cheaper, ...
Any thoughts welcome

It sort of depends on how deep your well is. I can't remember the figures, but I had to get an submersible pump as the well is 260 ft. A surface pump either could not draw the water up that high or was ferociously expensive in hardware and electricity.

One thing that you could do, which I wish I had done, is have a large feeder tank and fill this from the well overnight on cheap rate electricity on a timer switch (with an over-ride from a very low ballcock for the days you use huge amounts of water). If you can put it high enough in your pump house, you may be able to rely on the pressure from it without further pumping, but that depends on the stage of build you are at.

You've probably already thought of this, but make sure you have a tap that gives you untreated water (for watering the garden, water tests etc.).

Hey,

In my opinion and is what I have.
If you get a submersable pump and put that down your well and have that feed the well water up to a 'vessel', which is a stand alone container that brings the water into itself from the well and feeds it on up to the house.

The submersable is around the same size as the vessel and that size is approx. 3' long by half foot or so thick.

It's a great way to do it as you only have the vessel above the ground and it's electronically doing all the work for ya there.

Lao.

HI Lao,

Sorry but I'm a bit confused by your posting. Are you saying that you have your pump and vessel above ground ? Also what depth is your well. Mine is about 60 feet which I have been told is quite shallow and surface pump should be well able to 'pull' it up from that depth.

Mine is about 60 feet which I have been told is quite shallow and surface pump should be well able to 'pull' it up from that depth.

A surface pump is a pain the hole (pun intended). Most on sale you need to prime them and with high water usage in homes today and only a 60ft well you might find your pump running dry and needing priming on a regular basis. For the sake of 200 euro more get the submersible .5hp (I think shortest cable is 150 ft). Don't cut the cable when installing as you may drill your well deeper some date in the future. You will also need the dearer pressure switch which will shut off the pump in the event of no water at suction point. This is the case for either sub or surface.

My understanding was that 30ft was the point past which a submersible is recommended.

There would be no mainteance issues with the sub pump. You just tie a pull rope to it and it can be pulled if needed.

yoganmahew mentions pumping to larger vessel at night, but this assumes that you would have a night saver meter, and a one off house is unlikely to be heated by electricity alone so the added standing order cost of the meter would probably outweight any benefits.