Pulling through network cable..??

U

Unregistered

I bought a house from a builder thats developing an estate - and intended to get a couple of runs of network cable to each room. However, I messed up as I just checked on it today and the sparks has already been and gone - dunno how they managed to make such progress.

Anyways, i'm wondering...

Theres a satellite TV point in each room (probably with poor quality cable)..and i was wondering how likely it would be to be able to remove the face plate ...attach a couple of cables to the sat cable ..and pull it back through?

Are the existing cables likely to be tied together along the way (in which case i am fecked)..or going through very narrow spaces..?

If i try this and mess it up, then i will have recked the tv point for that particular room..

Id second deargs suggestion. The brother paid a few quid to get every room wired with CAT5 when his new house was being built. He bought a second hand wireless router and card a year ago for around 70e and hasnt plugged into the wall for network access since. Id say youd nearly spend that on the cable itself not to mention the hassle of running and any chasing.

Yes, the wireless network would come in as a fallback alright. I would prefer to run cat5e though - and while i'm at it, I could run proper satellite cable (2x ct100) and audio cable.
I want to use VOIP phones in the house as i will have wireless broadband. Furthermore, as we use more and more wireless devices, there is more chance of interference between devices.

Unregistered said:
I want to use VOIP phones in the house as i will have wireless broadband.

Would (nominal) 54Mbps 802.11a/g not do for local VoIP traffic? If not then some wireless manufacturers have proprietary implmentations of higher speed WiFi (e.g. 108Mbps) and 802.11n is supposedly coming real soon now for standardised higher speeds - although beware of gear claiming to be "pre-802.11n" and firmware upgradeable when the standard comes out just in case this promises more than it can deliver!

Furthermore, as we use more and more wireless devices, there is more chance of interference between devices.

Like what? They will only be an issue if they are in your wireless networking band (2.4GHz for 802.11b/g or 5GHz for 802.11a) and you can't configure things manually to avoid each other. For example, I have my 2.4GHz video senders on [broken link removed] and my 802.11g WiFi router on channel 11 and they seem to be spaced far enough apart to avoid interference. Other common causes of interference would be a microwave oven (will operate in the 2.4GHz band but check the label on the back for specific details) - although this would cause sporadic rather than continuous interference - and other (e.g. neighbouring 802.11 networks - note that only a few of the discrete 802.11 channels are non overlapping).