Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote

blueshoes

Hi. My boyfriend and I are going here the 5th March. Just wondering if anyone had been, if so whats it like? Wheres all the good pubs/clubs/shops? Oh and markets (I like a bargain). We have been to mainland Spain before thought it was great, some people are telling us that the island would be cheaper for fags and stuff, is this through? Thanks in advance.

blueshoes said:
Wheres all the good pubs/clubs/shops?
Just follow the cars with the jazzy number plates! ;)

More seriously, there are a few comments here. In any case, your rep will give you plenty of tips on the morning of day 1 — mostly for places (s)he gets a commission from, of course, but they're all much of a muchness anyway. Puerto del Carmen is nice; Lanzarote is generally a bit quieter and more 'family' then the other islands.

Hi DrM. Thanks alot, I checked out that thread and looks like lanzarote is going to be ok. Cant wait to go now!

Look out for me - I'm going there on March 12. I'll be the guy with the suntan, hairy chest and gold medallion :D. Seriously though it is quieter, but relaxing if you want it to be but otherwise if you want that. Puerto del C is a lot busier that other resorts in the island and the harbour (Old town) area great for fish (and other types) restaurants. Enjoy!!

I was in Puerto Del Carmen a few years ago also. Lots of good seafood restaurants, if that's your thing- especially the one near the old harbour (as noted by hansov). There's another nice place called El Tomate not far from the harbour that's particularly good and is always busy. There's a nice bar just a couple of minutes from the harbour, it's run by a Danish woman (if memory serves me) and she does nice Irish coffees and has a fine selection of cigars! There's plenty of guided bus tours of the island on offer, I'd recommend the one which brings you to the volcano in the centre of the island (this is from memory so details could be flawed!), there you can see a rare type of crab (albino crab) in an underwater cave. There's a restaurant attached to this national park. I don't smoke but fags are cheap and drink is even better value especially if you like your G&T, a litre bottle of Gordons is probably less than €13 (versus something like €30 or more at home). The sun is very intense so high sun factors are advised. I went around March also and found it very pleasant weatherwise, enjoy.

Been to Puerto del Carmen, what a lovely spot. Both the old town and new town have some really nice restaurants and bars. Try the American Indian Bar, they do the best cocktails in Lanzarote

agree on el tomate ......excellent
beware there is a french restaurant just a few doors away that looks great but food poor and prices high
Cannot remember it's name!

Is it Montmarte? If it is, I agree - wild prices, heavy food and when we were there uncomfortable seats. As regards trips. Hire a car for two days, (this will cost you the price of an organised trip) go to Timanfaya National Park early in the day (early = 9/10'ish) pay into the park and go on the tour. (You have to park the car and continue by internal Park coaches - that's why I said go early. Coach tours have to use the internal buses too and so you could arrive just as two tour buses do and have a bit of a wait!). The isalnd otherwise is small and you can really see it all in about a day and a half. When we hire a car we also go to a hypermarket between Arrecife and the airport and do a big food shop(ping)!! This saves on the somewhat higher prices in PdeC. Enjoy.

Justback from our third trip to Lanzarote. Picka dull week to be there, mild, cloudy and quiet cool at night.

Pt De C is lookin gits age, quiet shabby now but still good craic. We have small ones so stay in matagorda, and dont really go into Pt De C to eat, but just to walk around.

Lanis are worth a try but we found the newest one on the beach quiet poor, well layed out but rushed.

Meat eaters paradise , huge steaks, 10-14 euro

The posher port de cellarbo?, is lovely to visit.

as is la Santa and El Golfo ( for fish), I was ther and the waiter actually signalled to the fisherman what he wanted! and it duly arrived!

Rip off still occure, Irish bars, 3.50 for beers, across road or next door beer 2 euro
5 sec pours in some bars, 3 sec pour in irish bars
Taxies still cheap, we hireed a larger car for 155euro for the week (5 pax)

Walk to the end of the runway and u can feel the planes landing over u, a real rush if u are into planes.

takes quiet a bit of beating for families , but a bit quiet for singles/ couples.

best value, Chinese food, slowboat2 in matagorda commerical centre.
wine, 3 minerals, water
3 kids meals, soupsx2, peking duckx2, 2 main meals, 3 desserts little gifts for kids, and a short with the bill
66euro

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback. We are really looking forward to going now. Kerak what was the temps like during the day when you were there? Our travel agent told us it would be about 23degres. She better not be lying!! You also say cool at night so would need like something warm I guess?

on a sunny day,we had 2, it was very nice , but mostly cloudy/ overcast, worse feb for 70 years some said. even then it was like a june/july day here.
diff bring a light jacket.

buy your bottles in hypermarket rather than dutyfree, a lot cheaper prob 1/2 price of here.

electrical all avaiable but seemed very dodgey

hi podgerrodge, I picked up tickets yesterday and I asked the nice lady what the weather was like she said oh if you look in the paper, but its been cloudy and showers last few days. when we booked she told us it would be 23 degress most days anyways, I was looking up the price of the duty free drink and stuff (wanna get stocked up) cant find how much the fags are any ideas anyone?

cigs should be cheap but I'm going to get some on the way out as you can get duty free in dublin airport when going to lanzarote. also, not sure if I will be able to get silk cut ultra over there.

A friend of mine came back from PdeC last Saturday and she had excellent weather for the week. Sometimes Lanzarote is cloudy through the morning but warm tho'; and then the sun comes out blazing for the afternoon. Forget about weather forecasts this week - if it is raining there this week - you're not there! Lanzarote gets little (altho' we have noticed more than a little in recent years!) rain and so if it rains this week there is a very high probability that it won't next week. Enjoy.

hi hansov and podgerrodge, yeah im gona get gtocked up at dub airport to €13 for a litre of vodka great! im bringing nothing in my case, last year i brought loads of stuff and had to buy another case to bring back and pay extra too well not this year!!

And hansov thanks for that, its just not knowing wheater to bring all summery clothes or some warm things!!!

Have been twice - was never overly sunny but always hot. Is a bit of a wind so bring some jumpers for the evenings! I went on a boat trip to Feurteventura would highly recommend it. The beach over there is amazing and are some different shops too. Also give Titti Trollops a look - very funny drag show - just dont sit up the front!
Enjoy! am very jealous:(

loodles is correct - always pack something warm. Nights can be cool and a sweater or jacket are usually worth packing. Given our weather forecast to Tuesday, you will be wearing something warm to the airport this weekend anyways, :eek: so you could bring that into service if needed.

Back