Pubs opening on Good Friday

Just beat me to it Shawady!

The ban is a little archaic at this stage IMO and should be scrapped altogether.

I am still in favour of closing on Christmas Day though. I personally think that the pubs should close on Christmas Eve as well.

Ridiculous 'law'. More silly church influence and interference.

The usual defense is "Ah it's only a day, can you not do without?" etc etc

Not the point. It's the principle.

If any individual doesn't like the idea of a pub being open on this or any other day then don't go into one. Simple as.

Just beat me to it Shawady!

The ban is a little archaic at this stage IMO and should be scrapped altogether.

I am still in favour of closing on Christmas Day though. I personally think that the pubs should close on Christmas Eve as well.
nah, christmas eve is a great night to have a few pints, most pubs close around 10.30 anyway.

As a former barman though, I think the good friday closing should remain, used to have some great sessions on those days with my fellow barkeeps!:D

I don't agree with Good Friday closing but this exemption could cause all sorts of problems.

It should be all pubs open or no pubs open. I can see people who have no interest in rugby heading into Limerick just to get around the closing in there own area. Plus, how fair is it if a pub is just outside the county/city bounds and they can't open. This will be a big headache for gardai and shows up this country for the joke that it is. I am not a drinker but pubs should not be closed because of a catholic day of mourning. Those days are gone.

Crikey! Am shocked they got a positive ruling on this, thought it was one of those archaic sacred cows that wouldn't be touched! Beginning of a sea-change I wonder?

The government should have legislated for this day years ago. I remember McDowell one year saying that this was the last Good Friday pubs would close and then nothing..

I've no difficulty with pubs opening on Good Friday but I don't believe any decision to change should be based on the hosting of a rugby (or any other) match.

It's a bit depressing that, as a nation, we can't contemplate attending a sporting function without the complementary attraction of drink (and I speak as someone who hasn't often spurned those complementary attractions myself!).

Are we really saying, as a nation, that we can't attend a sporting function without the complementary attraction of drink?

Yes that is what we are saying.

We actually have a law in this country which allows alcohol to be purchased in supermarkets before midday on the Sunday before Christmas!

Yes that is what we are saying.

We actually have a law in this country which allows alcohol to be purchased in supermarkets before midday on the Sunday before Christmas!

Never heard this one before.
I know supermarkets cannot sell alcohol before 12:30 on Sundays but you are saying they can do it once a year, the sunday immediately prior to Christmas?

If the law was passed to let pubs open Good Friday can you imagine the mayhem of the first one? It would be a 'novelty' and the pubs would be packed all day / night and then the complete mess that will come with it.

I for one will be staying well away from the pubs that day.

As for those pubs in Limerick - people will be travelling from near and far just to get a pint - look out for RTE news the following day. I hope the guards are brushing up on crowd control ;)

Never heard this one before.
I know supermarkets cannot sell alcohol before 12:30 on Sundays but you are saying they can do it once a year, the sunday immediately prior to Christmas?

I am (slightly) wrong - the law applies to a situation where the 23rd or 24th of December happens to fall on a Sunday

According to the Intoxicating Liquor Act of 2000:

it shall not be unlawful for a premises to which an onlicence or an off-licence is attached and which is concurrently engaged in non-licensed business, to open for the sale for consumption off the premises only of intoxicating liquor between 7.30 a.m. and 10.30 a.m. on weekdays and on a Sunday that falls on 23rd or 24th December in any year.’’

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2000/1700.pdf

Page 8 para 1

(sorry - I can't fathom the correct section references etc)

It sure is BUT, if they're allowed to open in Limerick then they should be allowed to open Nationwide. In my opinion.
Makes no difference to my life either way but surely it should be all or nothing?

As someone who is driving to and from the game I will be sans beer that day. Makes no odds to me but I am sure there are plenty of others who will enjoy a few.

Its surely time now to review the closing of pubs on Good Friday. All or nothing.

Apparently 58 publicans made the plea that they stand to lose €8 million if the pubs stay closed on Good Friday. Just goes to show how much we drink
in this country.

I think this is the beginning of the end of the closure of pubs on Good Friday. Whats to stop another concert/match/feis etc... seeking an exemption in another part of the country now that the precedent has been set. It should be all open or all closed in my opinion.

I'm totally for the law changing to allow alcohol purchasing on Good Friday but it has a wider implication.

Good Friday is not a public holiday but significant number of people I know get the day off work (I have no statistics here, just asked my friends). I.E., their workplaces are closed. I'm an atheist but my workplace is closed and I'll happily take that day.

If the law is amended, then a lot of employers might decide that it's not a "sacred" day anymore and open up.

How many people are happy to exchange pub drinking for a "public" holiday?

Something tells me there will now be quite a few fixtures planned for Good Friday next year ;)

Back