Pubs in Dublin City Centre NOT showing World Cup?

podgerodge

I have to organise an area in a pub for Thursday evening (the day of the England match) for about 15 people for drinks, finger food etc - but I need to get a place that won't have the match blaring on top of the group as conversation is the prime consideration and if the match is on we'll all end up staring up at the tele - anywhere around city centre - dame street area - any ideas appreciated!

how bout the market bar...just off georges st...no teles or music...just good food and beer

could be a tricky one, only thought is perhaps upstairs in the lord edward (opposite christchurch). only problem is the finger food will be peanuts! but it's a great spot for a quiet(ish) pint. the stag's head used to be a tv free zone but i think they've got them in now. best of luck with the search.

The Long Stone have at least one large-screen tv - I watched the English Championship semi-final promotion playoff there about a month ago.

Fair enough. Nothing upstairs though (where you can book space), and I don't ever recall seeing a game on in there.

Ryan's in Parkgate Street didn't used to have tellys. Has that changed in recent years?

Yes. I had to endure some sports on TV while having a quiet pint in Ryan's last year I think.

I think that TVs should be banned from pubs.

Brendan

stags head on dame lane, not sure if they do food though. i'd say the market bar is the best place as their food is decent.

No TV. Bar in Mulligans, Poolbeg St.

As for food, a friend of mine asked for a ham sambo and the indignant reply was that they hadn't sold food there in well over a 100 years.

Murt

thanks for all your replys - turned out a place called "bia bar" was booked as it had a room on the side without a tele.... we'll probably spend bog all time in there and end up in the main bar watching the match... cheers

good thread for all others wondering where to get a non world cup bar though!

That Polish Bar in Parnell Street will probably be sans World Cup pretty soon!