Publicans freezing prices

dewdrop

Reports say pubs may freeze prices. Like the builders it is reducing prices they should do. Yesterday i had a lovely pint of Beamish stout in a pub outside cork city which cost 2.65..I repeat two euros and sixty five cents. Plenty of customers and craic was good.

Yes, pub drink prices are too high here.

In Enniskillen:
  • pints of ale are stg 1.49 = under 2 euro
  • Guinness is stg 2.20 = 2.75 euro
  • Bottle of wine is stg 5.69 = under 7.50
  • shot of spirits plus mixer = 1.65/1.99 = under 3 euro
  • coffee = 69/99p = 1 euro for a small coffee
Where exactly is this pub selling Beamish for 2.65??

Yes, pub drink prices are too high here.

In Enniskillen:
  • pints of ale are stg 1.49 = under 2 euro
  • Guinness is stg 2.20 = 2.75 euro
  • shot of spirits plus mixer = 1.65/1.99 = under 3 euro
  • coffee = 69/99p = 1 euro for a small coffee
Where exactly is this pub selling Beamish for 2.65??

Is this in all pubs or just Wetherspoons?

I was in Scotland recently and pub drinks prices there are at least 50% higher than these prices.

OK, I am quoting JD Wetherspoon prices.

Their pubs don't have a great atmosphere. Other pubs are dearer.

OK, I am quoting JD Wetherspoon prices.

Their pubs don't have a great atmosphere. Other pubs are dearer.

You're 100% correct in saying that they don't have a great atmosphere. The one in Enniskillen, in my experience, is a dirty kip.

So you're not comparing like with like, and without this clarification, your earlier post was misleading.

The dearest pint in my local is around €10 for bottled water. As the ads say "drink sensibly" so I do and stick with the much cheaper pint of Bud at €4.30 which makes a lot of sense !

The one in Enniskillen, in my experience, is a dirty kip.

Ah now, I wouldn't go that far. OK, it does attract a fair few "price sensitive" heavy drinkers, who may be a bit loud at times.

Also, I do agree that I wouldn't go on a first date there.

But I wouldn't call it a "dirty kip".

I walk in the door of that pub, look around me, see a few small groups of people here and there, eating drinking. The phrase "dirty kip" is the last thing in my mind.

On a broader point, I often have pangs of self-doubt when other people's opinions are in contrast to mine. I say to myself, am I wrong, are my standards too low?

I think it's an ok spot to read a paper, sample some English ales, get some (basic) dinner, etc.

Maybe it's that I am also price sensitive.......

Admittedly I've only ever been there once, for lunch on a Saturday, and I've never had a drink there, but yes, it was far from clean or tidy at the time. I walk by its front door regularly and wouldn't be tempted to return.

The fact that more expensive places nearby like the Crowe's Nest do a far bigger lunchtime trade sums it up in my opinion.

I have been in a number of Wetherspoon pubs in the UK over the year and I would never go there by choice. I would gladly pay extra to have nicer, cleaner surroundings. I drink once or twice a week, maybe 6 pints in total, so the price is not a major factor in choosing a venue.
As long as they don't stop making the stuff I'm happy :D

Reports say pubs may freeze prices. Like the builders it is reducing prices they should do. Yesterday i had a lovely pint of Beamish stout in a pub outside cork city which cost 2.65..I repeat two euros and sixty five cents. Plenty of customers and craic was good.

:eek: €2.65, CLASS.

€5.50 for a long neck Corona in Sheehan's off Dublin's Grafton St Saturday night, €4.50 for stout. Must be making a killing on bottles since as you can get a 12 pack for around €20, an thats not even trade prices.

Publicans price freezing is simply a PR Gimmick for those of us Gullible to think its an Honorable gesture.

Anytime Drinks companys have upped prices, Publicans have passed on the increase with their own "stealth tax" not even justifying their own specific increases.

They are certainly not alone in their greed, but lets say it how it is . . This is a PR Stunt.....

demand down, closures galore, never been cheaper to buy off licence booze (well since I've been drinking) you'd think there was something wrong with their pricing. Nope, no need to reduce prices here!

These guys are dinosaurs. The absence of initiative and innovation in the sector is mind-boggling. The lack of options for drivers and non-drinkers is as bad as it was 20 years ago, and there is no effort at all to introduce lower-alcohol beers to accommodate those who might enjoy just the one before driving home. Poor show all round.

Becks non-alcholic is on sale in many places.
Not sure about Kaliber, haven't seen it in years

There are options ubiquitos

Anyway, beer which has little effect? That has to be Budweiser! ;)

Has anyone else noted the stealth rise in price in some of these establishments over the past month or so? A bit like some sales ..... mark up by 30%, then give 25% off. Aer Lingus do this quite a lot, as anyone who regularly looks at their site for decent bargains will vouch.

Becks non-alcholic is on sale in many places.
Not sure about Kaliber, haven't seen it in years

There are options ubiquitos

Anyway, beer which has little effect? That has to be Budweiser! ;)

Kinda proves my point. Kaliber is crap, and was crap 20 years ago. Becks NA isn't bad, but can only be bought in small bottles, and in my experience costs as much as regular beer.

The dearest pint in my local is around €10 for bottled water. As the ads say "drink sensibly" so I do and stick with the much cheaper pint of Bud at €4.30 which makes a lot of sense !
Is this correct 10 Euro for a bottle of water? How much is tap water?

Kinda proves my point. Kaliber is crap, and was crap 20 years ago. Becks NA isn't bad, but can only be bought in small bottles, and in my experience costs as much as regular beer.
[broken link removed] is great. They even market it as a sports and fitness drink!

Knowing someone involved in the pub trade, I have a lot more sympathy for them now than I would have had a few years ago. Although there is a huge mark up on drinks, there are also huge costs associated with running a pub - when you factor in electricity & heating, staff, entertainment, PL insurance, there is not a lot left to play with, particularly with how the trade has declined over the last few years.

These guys are dinosaurs. The absence of initiative and innovation in the sector is mind-boggling. The lack of options for drivers and non-drinkers is as bad as it was 20 years ago, and there is no effort at all to introduce lower-alcohol beers to accommodate those who might enjoy just the one before driving home. Poor show all round.
Hear, hear. There is the same lack of innovation regarding quality/style of food, and entertainment options.

Back