Public Sewer and extensions

The Bunny

Hi
I know there is alot here on this but can somebody tell me what professional I need to get in to confirm where the sewer is running.

I am in the process of buying a house that I know has a public sewer near it. It needs a sizable extension and I am aware you can't build within 3 meters so I need to know for sure where the sewer is before I proceed.

Many thanks

Ask in your local Council Office, at worst they will tell you who to contact in their Council area.

My brother has inherited an old house that he's going to do up. His neighbour has installed a pumping station, to pump sewer etc to the mains aprox 300 meters away. This neighbour has allowed another household to join up to his pumping station, but I don't know what he charged for this. In the celtic tiger times there were to be 35 more houses built in this lovely secluded area, but alas, all this fell through. My brothers old house was on an old septic tank system, but he now wants to join up to the sewer and the neighbour wants €10,000k. Says that over the years he has maintained the pumps, installed the system, etc. Does anyone feel that this price is excessive? is it allowed, etc? For the brother to join the sewer independently it would cost a lot with piping, digging and he may not even be allowed to do this by the council. Any ideas anyone? I'm abroad and don't have up to date data on what he can do, or can't, as the case may be. Also, my brother is a bit innocent and not in any way rich.