Public Service work to rule?

It is 'normal people' who go to TDs looking for this perk. It is 'normal people' who have created this system by voting for the guy that does them a favour as opposed to the guy who is equipped for the job.

Thats says it all really

Between Jan 2008 - May 2009 4, 3283 "special requests for passports" went through TD's. Pat (the Cope) Gallagher led the way with 539 requests and Mary Coughlan followed with 499 requests. Donegal TD's accounted for one third of all requests. Mary Coughlan denied it was unfair to ordinary members of the public. All parties seem to agree as they all voted to retain the service. (I looked it up on google)

Also, the fact that some very senior Civil Servants did not get the same paycut as everyone else, due to their bonus being counted as core wage. has not helped the mood. 'Animal Farm' as someone called it.

That was a disgrace IMO. Just like regresive taxes, the % taken from the guys at the top should have been larger.

With prices falling in the private sector, downward pressure on the minimum wage and ever-increasing budget deficits, I honestly think we are only seeing the start of wage cuts in the PS.

With prices falling in the private sector, downward pressure on the minimum wage and ever-increasing budget deficits, I honestly think we are only seeing the start of wage cuts in the PS.
Yes, this is just the beginning.

Wasn't it explained in the budget how many billions were going to be saved each year? 3billlion, 4 billion etc, etc. They can either increase taxes and borrowing or reduce spending. If they increase taxes even more, it'll finished off more private firms and the situation will spiral downwards even faster. Ultimately they'll end up collecting less tax. The only option they have is PS pay cuts.

What's a Work-to-Rule? - What's a G0-Slow? What is this? What is that?

The question here is why is the Public Service being screwed whee others are not?

The answer is that the Public Service staff has been villified by the media and the politicians. We can ask questions all day and all night, but the bottom line is that the Public Service has been segregated from the rest of society and screwed.

Surely on a 'work to rule' it would still mean you have to do the basic functions expected of the job?

If so, why is the passport office allowed to stop dealing with customers at 1pm? Surely it is their job remit, even at the bare minimum, to address the public from 9am-5pm?

The early closing of the Passport Office is additional industrial action and not part of the work to rule.

The question here is why is the Public Service being screwed whee others are not?
News today:
80 jobs gone from fashion company
http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...nterim-examinership-447873.html#ixzz0gevQ10eV
Another 65 at Boston Scientific
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055822476
Postbank closing 1000 offices
Hughes & Hughes bookstores have gone into receivership
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0226/hugheshughes.html
UCI Cinema in Tallaght closing

and of course the usual list of insolvency notices:
[broken link removed]

So, I don't think it's just the public sector being screwed.

Not according to Brian Lenihan who says he intends to reform the tax system in 2011 and whereas tax rates may remain unchanged a social contribution will be introduced together with water and local charges ,so it looks like more pain for everyone but at least there is a certain fairness to it.

UCI Cinema in Tallaght close.

I thought we had huge cinema audiences in this country?
Surely they could drop the prices ticket prices or have better discounts for unwaged. Popcorn alone should be halved in price.
And its still a young population in Tallaght.

That's a really, really bad sign. Hope it can be rescued. Same with Hughes & Hughes. Upward only rents are killing retail.

I thought that UCI thing was a bit odd. Maybe they're opening up a new one or something.