public service pension and PRSA

M

Mags

I joined the public service in 2000 aged 39 years , am I correct in saying that I will get 26/40ths of my final pay when I retire

I also pay superannuation as I joined after 1995 ( 23.33 per week ) would I be entitled to a contributary old age pension in addition to this

I am also considering putting my full SSIA contribution into a PRSA after it matures ( my reasoning is that what I don't have now I won't miss ) would this be a good idea
My husband and I have a house rented out which we hope to boost his retirement income in later years ( he will be entitled to a full garda pension in 6 years time )

I hope that you don't think that we are greedy . But I saw my parents on the breadline through lack of planning and I don't want this to happen to us

any advice / suggestions grateful accepted

Hi Mags,

Ask your personel department for the superannuation booklet which should answer your questions.

More recent superannuation schemes have been coordinated (integrated) (with the social welfare old age pension). This means that you make a slightly lower contribution and then when you retire your pension is reduced by the OAP.

I hope this makes sense.

ajapale

Back