Public Service Ding Dong Posts removed from other threads as "off topic"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Media "myths" that get on your nerves

That's all well and good if you are average!

It's not unreasonable to assume that some people will be 25% poorer while some who won't lose their jobs will be static (eg - public sector workers)

If such a significant minority of workers are 25% poorer, it implies that the bulk of private sector workers are slightly better off or a similar number to the significant minority are 17-20% (25 minus 5-8%) better off?

If such a significant minority of workers are 25% poorer, it implies that the bulk of private sector workers are slightly better off or a similar number to the significant minority are 17-20% (25 minus 5-8%) better off?

The stat mentioned was reference to pay cut or loss of take home.

However, you're right in the sense that the shrinking of the economy has driven down a lot of other costs, especially mortgage costs and fuel costs. The average pay cut (not being 25% and more like 6%) is at least comparable if not less than the expected shrinking of the economy.

The public sector were asked to pay for their own pensions with not a single job axed yet!. As much as the unions spin this it's not a paycut.

First the P.S. have been paying 6.5% of their wage for their pension plus PRSI since 1995 and now are paying a 7.5% pension levy (tax) which does them no good what-so-ever as they don't get any benefit from it.

The PS have not been asked anything.

Again to that second posters point, ordinary worker people who have to pay for their own faltering pensions will never be convinced that PS workers beens asked to contribute to their 'guaranteed' pension is anything close to a paycut.

But if a PS worker is bringing home less pay and getting nothing for it would you consider that a pay cut because that is the case.

A public servants pension when they get it will not increase by paying the pension levy.

And where are you getting the private sector paycut is mostly reduced hours. Not the reality by a country mile! It's because PS are so removed from the reality of most Irish people with these kind of asumptions that makes people so angry.

People were angry because they have fallen for the nonsense put out by the newspapers and the govt and the flawed ESRI report.

PS has taken a paycut and in Dec will be getting hit again.

You should have a look at the thread on the ESRI report , the ESRI report has included semi-state bodies in it's calculations (ESB, RTE etc etc) all these employees are on big money in comparison to 95% of PS employees.

I know a guy who is a wage clerk in the ESB and has been there for the last 30 years he is on €80,000 a year show me a PS wage clerk that is on that kind of money.

You mentioned "like with like" what do you suppose the ESRI compared a fully trained Gardai to....would you believe a security guard????

Hardly like for like

Its no wonder people are so angry.
It's not public service bashing it's just not fair on the rest of the population to prop up this nonsense when the country cant afford it.

You say this is not public service bashing and I think it is exactly what it is.

This post has gone way off course and has disintegrated to a Public Service bashing. If an ordinary post talking about the media cannot stay on topic, then I think that the ban on Public Service bashing should be reintroduced accross all the threads or else this will happen all over the place.

I agree. The minute I read the opening post I wondered how long it would be before someone managed to twist it into a bash at the Public Service. It's getting ridiculous. Someone even managed to have a go at the PS in a thread about someone's neighbour burning rubber .

If the bulk of private sector workers are better off how come income tax is down 10% YOY despite increased levies? Perhaps a real drop of 15% or so.

Bit puzzled by this riddle, I'd have thought there'd be a link between income tax and income but perhaps somebody can put me right on that.

Whilst I don't disagree with you Liaconn, it's not always this black and white. All too often the so called 'bashing' is as a direct result of PS/CS defenders or apologists making points that when debated or questioned, are simply rebutted by accusations of bashing ?!

Not all questioning or examination of points or posts that defend the PS/CS can automatically be called bashing simply because they are critical by their very nature.

Some PS/CS posters even instigate this cycle of bashing themselves you know...

The point, though, is that threads opened on all kinds of topics end up drifting off into complaints about the Public Service. Also, most Public Servants don't just rebut with accusations of PS bashing, they also try to back up what they're saying. There are some posters on here who are constantly taking swipes at the Public Service, going very silent when asked for facts or figures, then popping their head over the wall again a few days later with another spate of unfounded cat calling.

Anyway, I'm going off topic now. Anyone got any other examples of myths perpetuated by the media?

Its bad enough that the media wont take the public service to proper task as per the point been revelent to the posters question, but now you want to BAN ALL DISCUSSION ON THE PUBLIC SERVICE! This speaks volumns..

Hopefully Lenihan will see through the 'facts' as some present them here.

Oh, for crying out loud.

We want threads to stay on topic and not degenerate into arguments about the Public Sector.

We want comments about the Public Sector to be accurate, constructive and properly debated, not just unsubstantiated 'bashing'.

That is not banning all discussion on the Public Sector.

Once again, can you read the posts properly before jumping up and down and shouting.

Well, as going off topic is against the rules, maybe this thread should just be closed.

1) Mayo are chokers and will never win
4) Cork footballers cant perform in a final in Croker, or against Kerry in Croker

Well in fairness they're hardly myths given the evidence of the past 15 years or so!

The problem is not "making points" that PS employees have a problem with it's "making stuff up" that they have a problem with.

Eg about time PS employees paid for their own pensions...they have been doing so since 1995.

Eg the pension levy goes towards the PS pension fund, it does not, it goes into general funds.

Eg ESRI say PS are over paid by 25% but have included the very very highly paid semi-state bodies in the figure.

Eg all PS employees get fantastic pensions when they retire but fail to mention that is only true if they are in the PS a full 40 years.

Eg fail to mention that when you join the PS you are obligued to take their pension whether you want it or not.

Eg flexi-time gets PS employees extra time off.

Eg teachers get 30 days sick leave per year but fail to mention that the average sick leave by teachers is 1 day a year.

I could go on but you get the drift.

I would like the Admins to reinstate the cease fire.

Let's find out if Ceatharlach is a troll or not!

2 simple questions for you.

1. What 'facts' are you talking about?

2. How do you mean the media won't take the public service to "proper task" do you mean the media should get involved with govt affairs or do you mean the govt should get involved with media affairs?

Should be simple enough for you to answer.

RTE 'Stars' are not public servants. They are on contract. The ordinary RTE staff eg admin staff, producers, editors are public servants and are not earning anything like the salaries of Gerry Ryan, Miriam O'Callaghan etc

I am sick of that myth that public servants are 'expected' to take their sick leave. This has been doing the rounds for ages and is absolutely not true.

Re the flexi time allegation, it is not extra time off. You can only take a flexi day if you have already 'worked up' the time by putting in the equivalent of a day's extra hours in the weeks preceeding your flexi day off.

The point re the pension levy not going into a ring fenced fund is important as it demonstrates that this is a contribution to the exchequer ie a pay cut and not something we are storing up for later ie our pension is still the same as it always was.

One of the things that gets on my nerves is whare someone can't be bothered to do a post properly giving others a chance to...well argue the toss.

Betsy

1. I have come across several posts suggesting that PS don't pay anything for their pensions...they do. You might say it's not enough that's your privilege the point is 6.5% for 40 years is a good sum.

2. People have suggested that the pension levy is going to make their pension better...it doesn't

3. I was under the impression that RTE (Relayed Turkey Entrails) was not public service more of a semi-state (different rules to Public service) the point I made still stands the ESRI included semi-state bodies which should not have been included in their report and really pushed the wage factor up.

4. if you work a full 40 years you get a lump sum and half your wage but if you only work 20 years you don't get a quarter you get far less than a quarter so you are incorrect it is not porportionate and yes you are correct it is buttons. Far better off putting your money into a post office for the 20 years.

5. What's the allegation? The suggestion has been made that by working you get extra time off...you don't. As for institutional overtime it's a very rare thing that civil servants get overtime.

6. You hear people are expected to take sick days in Revenue!

I hear that Santa Clause is coming this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.