Public liability insurance

JohnMc

Hi all.
I have a question on this. I am a forced landlord and in a message to all residents the management company said landlords should have public liability insurance, in case a tenant has an injury in your place.

I checked this with the RTB and they said landlords just need building insurance and the block insurance I have with the management company ticks this box. Tenants according to RTB should take out contents insurance.

I also did a quick check online to see what is covered in block insurance and Aviva said public liability is included, but not any more detail that that.

Has anybody had any experience of this, are landlords liable to claims against them if a tenant has an injury. My opinion is no as long as the place was in a safe liveable condition, which mine definitely is.

Thanks

I previously posted a similar question.

Following the helpful answers I received I took out the insurance and still renew. Fortunately I haven't had to use it.

Hi all.
I have a question on this. I am a forced landlord and in a message to all residents the management company said landlords should have public liability insurance, in case a tenant has an injury in your place.

I checked this with the RTB and they said landlords just need building insurance and the block insurance I have with the management company ticks this box. Tenants according to RTB should take out contents insurance.

I also did a quick check online to see what is covered in block insurance and Aviva said public liability is included, but not any more detail that that.

Has anybody had any experience of this, are landlords liable to claims against them if a tenant has an injury. My opinion is no as long as the place was in a safe liveable condition, which mine definitely is.

Thanks
While it may be in a safe liveable condition at the time of leasing accidents can happen. E.G. the door of a press might come loose and subsequetly fall and hit a child. An action could be taken against the landlord. The Court wont be too sympathetic to a landlord who has no insurance

Back