Other Public Liability Insurance for Residents Association

Advices

Our estate has been taken in charge by the local authority. We have no management company. We have residents association and public liability insurance was set up some years ago.

This insurance is renewable in a few months times and we were going to get some alternative quotes - is it possible for someone to suggest reputable/approved companies that we could contact?

Our current policy cost us €500 euros last year, 70 homes in our estate.

Thank you.

To be honest, that level of premium seems reasonable.

All companies underwriting in Ireland are regulated by the Financial Regulator and are therefore deemed to be 'approved'.

'Reputable' can be a subjective term!

what do you need the insurance for? do you organise Resident's activities? We don't have a resident's assocation or anything and just wondering why you need insurance?

Hi Advices:

Have you heard of constructaquote.com? They offer various kinds of business insurance policies at a very competitive price, including public liability insurance.

I recently bought a public liability insurance cover from them and would highly recommend!

Its a price comparision site...................for the uk!

what do you need the insurance for? do you organise Resident's activities? We don't have a resident's assocation or anything and just wondering why you need insurance?

Insurance is needed because in the event of any activity organised by the residents' association eg. clean up day resulting in an accident to anyone involved, the association and thus its members could be found liable if negligence is proved. It is also unwise to employ anyone for grass cutting etc unless they have their own liability insurance.
Most insurance policies however do not cover for group barbeques or the use of bouncing castles which gives you an idea of how potentially dangerous the insurance industry views such activities.

I know why they might need insurance but just wondered do they actually organise these type of activities. If the council has taken over the estate, the council should be cutting the grass. Where I last lived we had insurance and did employ someone to cut grass but once the council took it over, we cancelled it. I know of one area who were paying insurance for years after they were taken over until someone actually reviewed what the association does and realised that they didn't need insurance at all. Where I am now, we all clean, tidy and grass cut outside our own houses and the biger common areas are cut by the council.

€500 is a reasonable fee.

Our RA used to pay circa €1,000 IIRC including for the Sports/Open Day.

ONQ.

In certain counties, the council doesn't cut grass in any private estates regardless of whether or not the estates have been taken in charge. I live in one such county and have lived in this area for over 20 years in different private estates. The council NEVER cuts the grass so the alternative is to let it grow or get it done by a contractor or residents.You are very lucky to have that facility

Last edited:
I don't understand why councils cut grass in some counties. This is a huge cost to the taxpayer.

We pay over 2500 pa to cut the grass in our area. This is paid by the residents.

Marion

The fact that the RA exists means it has activities, so it should have insurance. The type of PL insurance that RAs (and other voluntary groups) obtain insures meetings (which must happen e.g. AGM) and also protects the associations committee members against any claims that may arise against them in their capacity as officers of the association. While rare, it is not unknown for a RA and/or its officers to be sued by a third party.

I think this is insurance companies frightening people into thinking they need it when all that is done by residents is contractors who have public liability insurance cutting the grass and if a claim is made always have a way out

I think this is insurance companies frightening people into thinking they need it when all that is done by residents is contractors who have public liability insurance cutting the grass and if a claim is made always have a way out

Note, this thread is 10 years old...

Back