Public interest law

tina4

Hi all, does anyone know about public interest law. Iv been looking on the Flac website and it says a bit about public interest law and public litigation law. It doesnt say how to go about taking a case. Just wondering about test cases in public litigation and if it would be expensive. Also how to go about taking a case.

This is interesting. An awful lot depends on what the issue is. Stuff like womens right to vote, sit on a jury, etc.,etc., would never have happened unless someone was willing to take on the State with all its might and bear the consequences. A test case can be taken by anyone affected by a particular issue BUT either they must pay for it themselves ( and you have to remember that unless a person is willing to be a lay litigant) that that means paying lawyers ( and I personally see no reason why I should work for free!) or asking the lawyers and them agreeing to work for free.

I have had situations where I have been asked to take on "public interest" cases. In most cases, they were not public interest but very much a personal interest with a complete inability to concentrate on why they should expect lawyers to work for nothing. Daw!

Organisations like FLAC and the Coolock Community Law Centre amongst others do fantastic work but it is largely down to the phenomenal commitment to social justice of the people working there.

mf

Thanks for the repy. I got a phone call from flac and have sent them the details. Can i just ask is there some sort of agency that fund certain public litigation cases. Sorry if its a stupid question i just dont have a clue. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Flac have very limited resourses to take on litigation, your case would need to be very compelling for them to take it on. You may qualify for Civil Legal aid administered by the legal aid board, you can find more information about this on their website. There are other schemes depending on the nature of the case such as the Refugee legal service, Mental Health Legal aid scheme, the coroners court scheme and the attorney general's scheme.

Flac's cases are usually chanelled by referral from a local centre when a solicitor comes across a particularly compelling case, but not always.

Thanks ramble. Heres hoping flac take it on i wonder would it make a difference to them or a solicitor that there will be at least 60 familys if not more that want to bring a test case. Its just not an option for us to bring it ourselves without financial help. Cause i know it costs huge amounts to take a litigation case epecially against the government. Thanks again for taking time to reply. Im learning little by little.

Back