Public Company Shares on LSE £ (also ISEQ € )

Duke

I hold shares in an "irish" public company which is quoted on ISEQ in euros,
but main listing is on FTSE 100 in Sterling.

If Ireland were to leave the Euro and revert to Punts as the official currency,
can I sell my (paper) share certificates in the U.K and get paid in sterling there ?

Duke.
( Irish Citizen, living in Ireland).

(My first posting, so hope I have selected the correct Forum).

Hi Duke

I am in the same position and you don't need to worry too much about it. You would be able to sell them either in Ireland for punts or in London for sterling.

The most important thing is where the company's revenues and profits are made. If they have diversified earnings in euro, Ireland, England, dollars etc the shares should survive the breakup of the euro ok.

It may be worth checking out the stockbrokers' sites as I am sure one of them has done a research paper on it.

Brendan

Brendan,

Thanks for your response.
Yes, the company has strong diversified earnings on an international basis as you
mention. The main stock listing is on FTSE 100. However, i think their head office is in Dublin.

I was concerned that the Irish Government would impose an exchange rate of
1 Punt = 1 Euro for all irish deposits and share holdings in Irish Companies for irish
Citizens.
I have heard mention of exchange restrictions etc.

When you mention checking out the stockbrokers sites for possible research paper,
any advice/suggestion as to Search phrase / words?

Duke.

I was concerned that the Irish Government would impose an exchange rate of
1 Punt = 1 Euro for all irish deposits and share holdings in Irish Companies for irish
Citizens.

I don't think that this would be meaningful in the case of shares. If I have a share in CRH, for example, today it is worth €14 or £11.20. I think that the Irish Stock Exchange would have to close temporarily in the event or Ireland leaving the euro. The CRH share could still be sold in London for sterling. When the market reopens, if the Irish euro was devalued by 50%, the price of the share in euro should be €28 if it was still £11.20 in London.

Just go into each of the big stockbrokers' websites and see what is publicly available.