PTSB or BoI

Airgead

I'm a danske bank customer and am trying to decide which of the above to choose, PTSB offers free current account banking if €1500 going through the account during the month as far as I know which is main selling point, however can anyone enlighten me with respect to their savings accounts etc, how easy/difficult it might be to get a mortgage/loan from them given that they are a more or less zombie bank. BoI are the bank with the least amount of government investment so 'going forward' would I be better off with them? Any advice welcome!

I use PTSB for my current account and i cant fault it. Once we transfer in our wages every month, banking is free and I find the online service fine. Any time I have had to ring the call centre, the service is good. If you need to go into a branch, be prepared for a long queue, but that it probably true of all the retail banks now.

However, I have to comment on your other questions. If you are looking for a current account, the savings offerings, and loans from that bank are irrevelant.
You need to decide where to put your current account. If you then need a loan or a savings account, you should not favour the bank where your current account is. You will be limiting yourself and possibly not getting a good product.

Each of these banking products (current account, savings, loans) are different and you should look at all providers when you want to get one. this is the only way to get the best value.

Each of these banking products (current account, savings, loans) are different and you should look at all providers when you want to get one. this is the only way to get the best value.

This. For example, I am with PTSB for my current account. I did have my savings account with them but their interest rates are no longer the best on the market like they used to be so I have moved my savings.

Why pay fees to BOI?

PTSB are fine been with them for years and never paid a cent in fees.Do not reward BOI with your business.

I am with BOI at the moment but am changing to PTSB. BOI charges are unreal and as you said, lodging €1500 a month with PTSB = no fees. Been with BOI for years and hate changing but money talks. So I would say PTSB

I am with BOI at the moment but am changing to PTSB. BOI charges are unreal and as you said, lodging €1500 a month with PTSB = no fees. Been with BOI for years and hate changing but money talks. So I would say PTSB

- I made the switch with my current a/c to PTSB and am very happy. I did hold on to a savings account with BOI and will continue to do so as long as no fees are charged.

I still get my wages paid into the BOI a/c and then transfer over to PTSB the €1,500.

I'm continuing to use my BOI ATM card to get cash out and I use the local external ATM for lodging cheques (only a few in Dublin).

If for example PTSB did introduce fees I would not hesitate to move to EBS for example. Being a customer of 2 banks gives me more options.

I might start using the POS function of my PTSB Visa Debit Card. I'm taking control of my finances and not just being a 'slave' to one bank.

I don't understand Theresa1. Are you saying you now use both current accounts? Is this a short term thing or does this mean you're still paying BOI fees? Or am I reading your post wrong?

She is using a BOI instant access saver which has no fees. This accepts her salary and she transfers this manually to PTSB current account. Seems like hassle to me, just get salary to PTSB directly IMO, no need for intermediate step.

And you get an ATM card with the instant access saver account which doesn't charge fees? If it can take salary lodgements in and let's you use ATM to withdraw I what's the difference between that and a current account?

Its not really a fully functional ATM card. You can only use it at BOI ATMs, it cant do POS payments, you cant use it online, its not a visa debit etc.

As for the account itself....no ability to create direct debits or standing orders. No overdraft facility (since its supposed to be a savings account after all!). No cheque support.

Direct debit really is the main point as people always need that facility for ESB, UPC etc.

She is using a BOI instant access saver which has no fees. This accepts her salary and she transfers this manually to PTSB current account. Seems like hassle to me, just get salary to PTSB directly IMO, no need for intermediate step.

Yes I could get my salary paid into my PTSB current account and close my BOI savings account but BOI is the nearest bank to me and I can lodge cheques at any time using the external LATM and I have banking 365.

PTSB is further away and I can only lodge cheques or cash during banking hours. It's no hassle and gives me more flexibility.