PTSB Increase Explore Current Account Maintenance Fee - April 2024

Does anyone have any experience with N26 Current Account options? What are the advantages, pitfalls? Is it a realistic alternative considering the ongoing behaviour of PTSB?
I did a "Search" for N26 and there are no mentions anywhere on askaboutmoney?? However it comes up as the number one alternative Current Account on bonkers
I'm with revolut a few years and I couldn't fault them. I live just north of the border and it's great at changing currency at the best rate possible. We still have a joint account with PTSB and her main account is PTSB also. I closed my main current account with them at the last fee increase. We are closing our main joint PTSB account now after this latest increase and she will close her main current PTSB too. Everything will be Revolut now for our main southern banking.

That is how they get you, slowly adding bit by bit onto it. You might not mind one or two euro here, if you don't vote with your feet, next time another one or two euro. Rinse repeat until people complain.

I closed mine back when when they remove free fees back in June/July last year. Never look back since.
Exactly
You would move current a/c over an extra 24 fee per year
It's a little more than 24 euro as they are reducing card usage payback from 10 c to 5 c . We have two accounts and between both of them will cost us 170/180 euro a year with this increase. With revolut I will pay nothing for both standard accounts. That money is better in my pocket than in PTSB's so yes I would change accounts over this extra fee

"If you are over 66 years (or between 60 & 66 years if your account was opened on or before 13th January 2018) you are
eligible for fee and charge exemption regardless of the balance maintained in your account"

That is very interesting, thank you (ocd dad)
I wonder will this fee waiver apply if one joint holder meets the criteria.
At one point the banks did allow this, but not any more. As far as I know all of the banks now require both of the joint account holders to be 66 or above to avail of free banking in the case of joint accounts.

You can however have free banking for sole and joint accounts from Revolut.

Anyone moving from PTSB because of this. We currently have 2 a/c's with them we may shut one.
We have 3 current a/c's with them. Mortgage is also with them so have to keep one. Will probably just suck it up and keep the other 2 as is easy to transfer money between them, have them on the same app etc.

We have 3 current a/c's with them. Mortgage is also with them so have to keep one. Will probably just suck it up and keep the other 2 as is easy to transfer money between them, have them on the same app etc.
The easy to transfer between 2 accounts is a big issue for us.

The easy to transfer between 2 accounts is a big issue for us.
Same, we have a personal a/c each and a joint a/c. We are constantly moving money between the 3 for various reasons so having them all in the same bank with immediate transfer is very helpful.

Last edited:
Same, we have a personal a/c each and a joint a/c. We are constantly moving money between the 3 for various reason so having them all in the same bank, immediate transfer is very helpful.
absolutely especially if you are late transferring funds to cover a DD

I plan to open a Money Manager account with EBS as there are no fees.
If it works out I will be switching a few children's savings accounts to them as BOI only paying 0.25%

Anyone moving from PTSB because of this. We currently have 2 a/c's with them we may shut one.
No. We have two accounts with them which will cost a whopping €5 or €6 per month for both, even with the reduced cashback. My banking services have to paid for somehow.

No way would I go back to the 1990's with EBS.

No. We have two accounts with them which will cost a whopping €5 or €6 per month for both, even with the reduced cashback. My banking services have to paid for somehow.

No way would I go back to the 1990's with EBS.
Fair point but I'm all for the banker paying.

Is it possible that PTSB created this new explore current account to avoid giving free banking to anyone that would qualify as over 60 and account opened before 13 Jan 2018. I would have been on such person in a short few years. As I switched, I must wait till age 66.

It would be very underhanded of them to be at this, though I have little trust in PTSB over what they did to people with trackers.
Possibly. I've never met a banker or a bookie on a bike.

I've had free banking for years on a joint a/c with PTSB, now they give us 3.30 every month :cool:
6e charges
9.30 rewards

It is an Explore account. We converted to it late last year. They have the 6e charge but also rewards when you use the Debit Card. We also have a Sky DD which gives us a % reward too.

It is an Explore account. We converted to it late last year. They have the 6e charge but also rewards when you use the Debit Card. We also have a Sky DD which gives us a % reward too.

2% cash back on Sky and 1% on Airtricity. There used to be other cash back offer previously but they all went over time.

Back