PTSB Fees

dodo

I used to have free banking with PTSB now they charge me 18E a quarter. Is this correct and what banks can give free banking or will all banks go this way

In 2019, PTSB introduced fees for some legacy account types.

Best buys here will show you how to get fee day-to-day banking.

Options include ...
- EBS offer free euro banking (no maintenance fees, no ATM fees) but have no app and do not offer mobile wallet payments.
- KBC offer free euro banking (no maintenance fees, no ATM fees) but you must deposit at least 2,000 EUR a month to avail.
- Revolut offer free euro banking (no maintenance fees, no ATM fees) and no cost FX (with limits and weekdays only) but it is not a fully fledged bank.
- N26 and Moneese also have free options.

I have a current a/c with them and when I became aware that they were introducing charges and hadn't received any notification of same, I called to them in Kilkenny ready to complain. I was told that my a/c was one of the few that they couldn't introduce charges on; some issue in the small print when set up and their hands are tied. Free banking for life. Happy, happy days!

a Triple 35 that I save money into.

But dodo

You are in danger of losing an investment property due to being in arrears???

You need to think these things through a bit.

Don't be wasting time on €18 a quarter when you could wake up tomorrow to find a Receiver appointed to your property.

Brendan

I have a current a/c with them and when I became aware that they were introducing charges and hadn't received any notification of same, I called to them in Kilkenny ready to complain. I was told that my a/c was one of the few that they couldn't introduce charges on; some issue in the small print when set up and their hands are tied. Free banking for life. Happy, happy days!
may I ask how long you have been with them and also what ws the small print as I thought I joined them because free banking for life if 3 K going through account each month.

may I ask how long you have been with them and also what ws the small print as I thought I joined them because free banking for life if 3 K going through account each month.
I didn't look for the small print as things were going my way! I'd say the account was opened around 1991.

Lucky you!

I seem to recall them offering free banking for life, for quite a long time, and I know a number of people who understood that's what they had, until PTSB pushed their fees through.

I think the free banking for life offer was a big seller for them, years ago, and got them a lot of current account business.

I'm a bit surprised that more customers didn't challenge them and report them to the Ombudsman, when fees were introduced. It seems to have been generally accepted, without question.

Any idea what the change to the small print was and when they might have amended it?

Lucky you!

I seem to recall them offering free banking for life, for quite a long time, and I know a number of people who understood that's what they had, until PTSB pushed their fees through.

I think the free banking for life offer was a big seller for them, years ago, and got them a lot of current account business.

I'm a bit surprised that more customers didn't challenge them and report them to the Ombudsman, when fees were introduced. It seems to have been generally accepted, without question.

Any idea what the change to the small print was and when they might have amended it?
Sorry Mr. E., I've no idea.

I have a switch current account with PTSB, which is free for life. It was in the T&Cs when I signed up in the 90s. They have never attempted to charge fees.
AFAIK, this was the only account that that pro was to be free for life. the other PTSB accounts do not have this in their T&Cs so they have not broken any rules but changing the fees .

But dodo

Don't be wasting time on €18 a quarter when you could wake up tomorrow to find a Receiver appointed to your property.

Brendan
Look after the pennies and pounds will
But dodo

Brendan
Brendan that is a different thread and should not be put into this thread. Tks for all advice but it is off topic.

Look after the pennies and pounds will

Hi dodo

This bit of folk wisdom must have been invented by the banking industry.

They have people jumping up and down about €10 a month in fees and they don't realise that they are paying €300 too much in mortgage rates.

I much prefer the expression "Don't sweat the small stuff"

or "penny wise pound foolish "

Brendan

Check what account you have.

I have one where you used to have to lodge X amount each month. I think it was like 1500 but I can't fully remember.

When they introduced the fees I was going to close the account until I realized that there is exemption when you maintain 2500 (or more) throughout the quarter. (Basically like AIB).

Yours may be the same.

PTSB CURRENTACCOUNT4 is the one I have. If they try a BOI I will move to EBS.

I have never used EBS online but I have heard it's very basic and they don't have an app.
However if you combine the account with say Revolut and use the Revolut app it get's you around this problem and if you ever need to lodge a cheque or have trouble with a company not accepting IBAN from Revolut which they shoudn't you have EBS to fall back on. All services FREE.

Back