PSP or DS Lite?

toby2111

My bro is coming back from USA for Xmas and I would like him to bring back either a PSP or Ds Lite as I hear they are much cheaper there.My only prob is which one?I like that Brain Training game for the DS but are the other games too "childish".Whereas the PSP seems to have more games like the FIFA's and Grand Theft Auto games plus Mp3 which I dont have.Does the PSP have a brain training type game?

You have it in a nutshell. The brain training is the big selling point for the DS and the gaming for PSP. In game playing there is no comparison PSP wins. But the brain training is definitively effective in strengthing the grey matter.
Are you a gamer or brainer? That's the split.

That's odd. I've heard that the DS is great for games but the PSP doesn't have many good ones. Saying that, I don't own either but my younger brother has a PSP which is gathering dust.

I've heard conflicting opinions about each console.I would be both a "gamer" and a "brainer",just dont know which would be the best buy.I have a PS2 and like the selection of games for it,am just wondering if the DS games are all "Mario" crap for kids..although in fairness I've never played any of them!!

it depends what you are into. I like sporting games, and PSP as some very good ones, I got one in the US in the summer for next to nothing and some games like Madden and other sporting games, all excellent
Remember to get an adapter before you plug it in however

m just wondering if the DS games are all "Mario" crap for kids..although in fairness I've never played any of them!!

Well I'm in my thirties, and spent four months completing "mario crap". It is absolutely superb.

my neice & nephew have a DS each, massive hits with the whole family, esp brain train, & there other adult enough games too have a look on play.com. I have never played a psp as i'm not a big gamer but it seems to have more functions, expandable memory, plays films, mp3's & that.

I would go for the DS lite.

you may want to look for a "powerpack" so you can charge it over here, I think these are easy enough to cone by (look in game/game stop) & afaik the games in the US are the same as the games here.

am just wondering if the DS games are all "Mario" crap for kids

The recently-released Zelda-Phantom Hourglass game on the DS is excellent. Definitely good for adults as well as kids. You can play the whole game with the stylus so no need to master buttons.

I reckon the stylus and dual screen put the DS ahead of the PSP now.

Hi, wonder if someone could help me, just back from the states and purchased a psp and two games for my nephew. The games have region 1 on the back of the games. Can anyone advise me if games purchased in ireland or europe can be played on the psp... so confused, someone told me I would have to purchase region 1 games all the time in order to use the psp. This is a xmas pressie for my nephew and i don't want to open it to try it. Any info most grateful. txs.

You can play games from UK/Ireland/Europe/World on your US PSP so don't worry - there is no game region restriction.

There is however a movie region restriction - though may movies bought here will still play on the US PSP, e.g. The Matrix

Overall though it's probably best to purchase UMD movies from the USA to ensure they work.

Games are ok - will play games purchased here no problem.
UMD Movies are region specific so if you want to buy movies then they have to be region 1 but that is all.

Last edited:
Great thanks for that, relieved !!! Didn't want to hand the nephew a PSP for xmas and then tell him sorry the games from Ireland won't play on same. Cool, thanks for replies.