PS Uncertified Sick Leave

Can't see what good it would do. Occ Health will tell me they have a broken ankle (I knew that) and they will fit for work once the bones have healed (I knew that too).

Skiing holidays don't sem as popular these days so it's not an issue anymore.

It might lead to less one off sick days. But if people have to go to the doctor everytime they have a bad cold they will look for a cert for the week and only go back when they're fully recovered. If they have the option of taking a couple of days uncertified, many people will go back in on the third day even if they're still feeling a bit under the weather, rather than go to the hassle and expense of making an appointment to see the doctor.

So when a med worker (nurse, surgeon, doctor or cleaner) is sick they should go into work anyway.

What a great idea

The point was uncertified leave. If they're sick they can get a a certificate and therefore be paid.

The point was uncertified leave. If they're sick they can get a a certificate and therefore be paid.

A cert costs €60 to get, if you are feeling like a dog in the morning you know you are sick but reckon it is just a bad cold, do you need to go to the doctor to have him tell you you have a cold?

And also, and especially in my case, my local doctor (GP) doesnt give appointment times, so you sit in the waiting room to be seen, no secretary or receptionist either. So you could be left sitting for a couple of hours depending on how busy they are, and they are busy at the moment. I would only ever go to a doctor if I knew I was sick enough to be out more than 2 days and usually I would need an antibiotic.

A cert costs €60 to get, if you are feeling like a dog in the morning you know you are sick but reckon it is just a bad cold, do you need to go to the doctor to have him tell you you have a cold?

Well what do you propose then?

I think the general point is that they are not actually sick and not feeling like a dog.

I know when that report was relased a few weeks ago about PS sick days(I can't recall the average but think it was 11 days) I mentioned it to my brother who works in HSE.

He's in a department of 8-10 people. He ran through them all in his head and reckons they all took in excess of average off in the last year. No serious illnesses - just colds and flu (that lasted a day maybe 2), upset tummy, just not feeling right.

The average days was I think 6 or 8 for men and 11 or 14 for women.

Well in your own example of a sick doctor or surgeon, it wouldn't be that difficult to obtain.

But it isn't the employer's problem if that is the cost. The point was if they are sick and have a medical cert, they get paid.

Go to a different doctor.

When I worked in the US I was told you have 3 weeks vacation, including sick days. Thats it! If you need more time off, its unpaid leave. Strangely enough, very few people were ever sick from work.

But I wonder how many people had accidents in work or made costly or dangerous mistakes, due to turning up for work when they weren't fit.

If the Indo ran an article that said "loads" would you accept it though?

But I wonder how many people had accidents in work or made costly or dangerous mistakes, due to turning up for work when they weren't fit.

If the Indo ran an article that said "loads" would you accept it though?

I was referring to the above and the fact that most PS workers seemingly don't believe a word the Indo says.

On Colm5's point, how easy would it be to increase annual leave by a few days and total to be used for holidays and/or uncertified illness? All other uncertified illness = loss of pay.

I would certainly accept this condition myself in my job anyway - surely there is a very good chance that there would be savings made if the days lost due to alleged sick day abuse is even half true? Those PS workers who maintain that their sick leave is minimal would still have their few days a year to use.

If it was a choice of spending 60 quid or losing a day's pay I'm sure most people to spend the 60 quid.

Surely the sick day statistics published earlier in the year show that it is rampant. All new contracts should be issued in this way. Generally, behaviour like this spreads throughout an organisation if they can get away with it. Obviously not everyone does it, and so they have nothing to worry about.
If an ever increasing portion of employees have a defined sum of 'sick and holiday' allowance, the levels of abuse would surely decrease, where as employees that have old contracts may feel the guilt factor. Or maybe not...

To cover the exceptions of med-to-long term illness, private work absence insurance can be used. I would be surprised if a private insurer would not fully investigate multiple missed days.

For an example, take Belgium. Doctors are sent randomly to check on people who report in sick, even for 1 day. A good system I think.

If the Indo told me grass is green, I would go outside and check for myself.