PS Guard

Eeek!!!!

Does anyone have any experience of removing this from a laptop?
My laptop has become infected with Bloodhound.W32.EP (Norton Anti-Virus definitions not updated, I know, I know) and now when I turn it on I get the NAV message box telling me I have Bloodhound, but it can't repair it, and a PS Guard spyware remover dialog that tells me to register (I think not).
Basically everything else on the laptop is frozen, I can't access any of the programs, restarting in safe mode seems to have no effect.
Is a total reformat on the cards?
Thanks!

Ive found in the instances Ive seen of this type that NAV is causing the slowness/lockdown of your machine. (not neccessarily here but is where Id look first)

What I do to fix is usually disable NAV so its not hogging the memory, then use CPLstartup to disable and a combination of the freeware cleanser tools on offer in the cleanpc post.
However, at times to disable NAV Ive needed to reboot, enter DOS before windows boots and rename executables to acheive this. If you dont feel comfortable doing this then I suggest you either get someone to have a look or reinstall.
MS antispyware is my current tool of choice but if doesnt remove the bloodhound worm then use as many of the other removal tools listed as possible.
Errant dlls and registry entries are practically always the culprit but unless you have a trained eye, its always hard in these instances not being in front of the PC to describe what to do.

Thanks car, kinda understand what you mean, but have an awful fear of doing anything that's going to render the files on the laptop irretrievable.
You don't have any quick method for copying specific files on the laptop to an external media? The laptop is mainly used for editing rather than storing files, so even if I could get those off it I wouldn't mind reformatting. My problem of course is that it's locked once NAV starts.
Alternatively, where to go to find someone with the expertise needed to get me out of this hole? Thanks

If you can boot from your original Norton Anti-Virus CD, you should be able to remove the virus from there.

Check out this article on the Bloodhound virus and how to remove it on the Symantec site.

The symantec link DR M posted should help.
To get files off the pc, are you on a network? If so copy to a network location or share a folder out.
If not on a network and want to insert removable media, youre still going to have to do something to disable whatever is slowing down the PC. Try putting removable media in (external disk or USB key). Reboot the machine, can you get into windows, if so, the removable drive should have been assigned a drive letter. Open a DOS prompt. Click start, run, cmd. This will open a dos prompt which should let you work away without whatever memory process thats affecting windows affecting you.
Then copy from one drive to the other.
You'll need to look up some basic dos commands like
cd
copy
move
delete

To get help on these while in dos type help <command>

But really try removing bloodhound first via Dr Ms link.

Thanks car and MonsieurBond, in the end I had to give up and call in a techie. Couldn't get the machine to do a single thing other than start (no calling up programs, nothing) and things really became time-critical because I needed certain files today (and didn't want to run the risk of corrupting them and losing work that I'd only have to do again). Apparently in this case NAV was part of the problem, so it was well beyond my ability to fix it. I have successfully removed viruses, etc. in the past, but in this case I was happy to hand it over to an expert (and lucky to ring one up at 6.30 and have him on my doorstep 90 minutes later). V. frustrating situation though - more grrrr than eeek.
Thanks again.