PRSA Contributions Capped at 100% Salary

MTB_FS

Not sure did I read the Finance Bill correctly, but PRSA employer contributions capped at 100% salary?

Should they not have moved it to the Max Funding approach?

So everyone back to Exc. pensions and ARFs now.

MTB_FS, looking at the explanatory notes you could well be right

So this is plugging the unlimited PRSA contributions "loophole" that was introduced a couple of years ago I presume?

I'm ready the Bill and can see that employer PRSA contributions are indeed being limited to 100% of salary.

I can't see where it says the effective date of this change. Is it immediate or 2025 tax year?

But that still means that I could earn €x and my employer could choose to contribute €x to my pension without any BIK issues arising?
Still seems very generous?

But that still means that I could earn €x and my employer could choose to contribute €x to my pension without any BIK issues arising?
Can you still make additional payments as an employee or does this require an AVC PRSA?

It now makes the choice between on older-style Occupational Pension Scheme (OPS) and a PRSA more complicated. Maximum employer contribution to an OPS is a calculation based on salary, years of service and all existing pension benefits. Sometimes the result will be greater than 100% of salary; sometimes it will be less. Going forward, if someone is looking to get their company to aggressively fund their pension their broker will need to run the figures on both choices to see which gives a better result.

Yes I agree with you there. Example, employee 45 years of age earns €100,000 per year and can receive €100,000 employer contribution. Rinse repeat for 15 years plus growth which is over €1.5m. That is a good deal.

And there's me thinking that they were trying to work towards simplifying the pension landscape/choices...

It's irritating. As a financial broker I have a conflict of interest in that continued complexity and rule changes benefit me personally as many people will continue to need people like me to explain the differences to them. But looking at the bigger picture I believe that consumers would benefit far more if all the rules were simplified across the board and products simplified with it. Want more people to contribute to private pensions? Don't make them so complicated that people understandably are reluctant to commit money to something they struggle to understand.