Provisions of a car loan

geordief

Someone has told me that there may be circumstances where the financial entity providing a car loan might have some responsibility for costs incurred in repairing the car if the repayments have not been completed.

My own situation is that a large garage expense has been incurred and the car has had to be traded in (ie swapped) for another car but that the garage expenses are still owing.

Can the financial entity be asked to bear a proportion of that bill?

I don't understand your question.

Did you crash the car? Did the insurance company refuse to foot the bill? Was the car an economic write off? Is it the (large?) insurance excess that is outstanding?

If you have a finance deal on a car I think it is your responsibility to ensure it is adequately insured and is adequately maintained as per the manufacturer's specifications and kept in a roadworthy condition, NCTs up-to-date etc.

The engine overheated and had to be replaced.Subsequently further faults became apparent with the result that the garage made an offer of another car which would be transferred to the loan.

There is no ongoing issue with insurance.

Sounds like you were sold a defective car and the garage is at a loss through their own fault unless they can establish that you were negligent by not noticing elevated engine temperature, fluid loss, etc.

This sounds like a straight-forward consumer issue to me; have a look here:

If it was a new car: - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...ng/advice_on_buying_a_new_car_in_ireland.html

If it was a used car: - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...g/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_ireland.html

Someone has told me that there may be circumstances where the financial entity providing a car loan might have some responsibility for costs incurred in repairing the car if the repayments have not been completed.

Would they be referring to the 50% rule whereby once you have made 50% of the loan repayments you can hand the car back to the bank and walk away ? A family member recently availed of this as they were no longer in a position to drive.

Who is the finance provider? Should be easy to check the T&Cs, but I'd be very surprised if any would offer anything towards maintenance or repairs. Even with HP, you are fully responsible for all repairs, including any that might be deemed necessary if you hand the car back under the half rule.

There's provisions in UK law about the finance provider being jointly responsible for faulty goods, but there's no such legislation in Ireland.

Back