Provisional licence out of date!

dubliner56

Posting this question for a work colleague hope some can help.
My work colleague was involved in a car accident last week, her provisonal licence is of of date since last April, she sat her driving test and passed it since then, but didnt get around to actually applying for her driving permit. Question is will this have a barring on her motor claim with the insurance company,since she didnt have a valid licence at time of accident.Looks like her car is a write off. Thanks in advance for any feed back.

Something does not add up. How did she do her driving test on an expired provisional? Also, unless things have changed the certs are only valid for 6 months, so she better get her finger out and get a licence or she will have to resit the test.

The answer to your question is of course it will. No licence no insurance read the terms and conditions.

Either way the insurance should cover her , once she was insured has a provisional license and not a full one.

If you don't have the correct license the insurance company can refuse a claim, they would only be liable for third parties. AFIK

It was only last week the accident was meant to of happened. If she did indeed take her test then she would have a valid licence. Might not actually have the licence in her hand, but the test certificate is proof enough.

But since it doesn't add up how she managed to take the test, i dont suppose anyone knows the answer, she'll have to phone the insurance company and ask.

Also wouldn't the insurance company know that she has passed her test? The first thing i did when i passed was phone them up so my premium came down. Got a nice cheques sent out to me.

Ok I was not clear in what I said, here I go again. She sat her driving test two days before her provisional expired. She passed her driving test, and received her certificate to say so... but she hasnt applied for her full driving licence or permit as I think it is now called. Will this be a problem for her?

She should do it asap.

Since the changes last year the cert is no longer good for anything except for applying for the full license. She should still be accompanied and have L plates.

Any insurance cert I've seen states your covered, provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive such a vehicle or having held such a licence is not disqualified from holding such a licence, or words to that effect

I think posters should check their opinions before rushing in to present them as facts.

.... I think posters should check their opinions before rushing in to present them as facts.
I absolutely agree and despite OP's clarification, the situation looks no different.
... No licence no insurance read the terms and conditions.
This statement is still valid and accurate - OP's colleague does not now and never has held a licence, but now possesses a piece of paper that allows her to apply for one.

Would she still not be covered by the provisional in the insurance companys eyes. I know its out of date but she has held it and isn't disqualified from holding it. I dont have any experience of this just a thought.

I was involved in a car accident and I did not have my full licence, only the cert to say I had passed the test. My insurance still covered me.

Granted this was approx 3 years ago so am not sure if it is still relevant.

I think its going to be down to the individual insurance company concerned as to how they view it.

However, she should contact her motor tax office asap and apply for a licence - explain the situation to them and they may give her priority if there's a waiting list.

Thanks to all for your views, she has indeed applied for her driving permit so hopeully all turns out good for her.

She currently holds an out of date learner's permit which is not a licence.

Actually based on the dates she will hold an out of date provisional license. Which for the purpose of insurance is , as long as she selected provisional when she renewed.

She did her driving test and passed and has now applied for her full licence, am I correct in saying this? her provisional is out of date since April.

She did her driving test and passed and has now applied for her full licence, am I correct in saying this? her provisional is out of date since April.

Yes, she will now get a full licence for either 3 or 10 years (whichever she chooses).