provisional licence for motorcycles

manukev

i am thinking of getting back to my young days again and getting a motor cycle,got the application form for a provisional licence today and have 2 questions,(1)for a category a licence it says engine power rating not exceeding 25kw,what cc's does this cover (2)do i have to do that theory test even though i have a full driving licence for a car

According to CitizensInformation:
Code:
Category        Vehicle type                                                      Minimum age of driver
A1                Motorcycles up to 11kW or 125 cc                         16 years   
A (restricted)  Motorcycles up to 25kW (approx. 300 cc)                18 years   
A                 Any size motorcycle (after 2 years on a full licence)   18 years

thanks for that clubman,had a provisional before but let it expire approx.12 years ago just hoping maybe that would be taken into account as i would like somrthing higher in cc's

There should be more info on biker.ie and the motorcycling forum on boards.ie. There's no direct relationship between cc & power, but generally once you go over about 400cc you exceed this. Most new 600cc bikes come with a factory restricted option to limit the power. I believe factory restricted works out better from an insurance co. point of view (i.e. the bike is a lower group), than if an aftermarket kit is added. You often see people selling on second hand bikes with the restriction, e.g.

To answer (2) you have to redo the theory test if it's fewer than 2 years since you last did it - even if you have a full license, also the theory test for motorcycles has extra motorcycle related questions.

thanks folks.i called into a bike shop today and was told there is no limit to the cc's but that the actual power output is restricted,and was also told that it is pointless because the majority of people will just go and reverse the procedure.i still have to do that theory test though

manukev, I'm a "born-again biker" after 20 years, and sat the theory test last year before getting the A provisional licence. (have a full car licence too). I know the number of questions have increased since late last year, but I didn't have any difficulty with the test - a week's study and practice will see you through with no problems!

If you're going ahead, I suggest you move quickly - there'll be a change in the law soon which will prevent you from getting a learner permit / bike licence until you've completed 16 hrs of compulsory training. (don't get me wrong, I think training is great).

Good luck and safe motorcycling!

thanks for that gipimann.i am going ahead and getting one probably a bit quicker now based on that info

Back