provision of Home Based Sewing Classes for Children age 8-12

Sandals

Having placed my daughter in an art class today for 3 hours for €15 by an artist at her home (along with 9 other kids), i became interested in providing a sewing class. This lady does the class on the quiet and doesn't advertise so I have no idea about any insurance etc (bit scary now after my kid is home). I would like to try sewing classes for a few mornings during the Summer, however there is plenty of potential for all year round work - we are talking very small profit but would enjoy teaching the skill while making a few bob. The classes would be limited to 6 and my home is privately owned and has residential planning premission.

I searched AAM and found only one other post about art classes in the home to which one person had responded:

"If so and you you intend using it as "an art club on saturday mornings and weekday afternoons for children aged 4 to 10" you will need several things, including :

• Change of use permission from the local planning authority from residential to commercial (will you charge a fee for the club? Even if you don't, it may be deemed commercial for planning purposes depending on footfall, extra road traffic, etc.)
  • A fire-safety certificate for a commercial premises from the local fire-officer, as well as the installation of fire-safety equipment and possibly fire-escapes
  • You will require Garda clearance for yourself and all staff that will work with the children
  • Before any reputable broker / insurance company will quote you, they will need to see all of the above in place
This list is not exhaustive."

I plan on ringing my insurance company tomorrow but any advice/suggestions/experience would be appreciated.

Thanking You.

What about applying to local schools to hosting some classes during the day. One of my local schools brought in someone for 6 weeks to do different sewing, stitching etc with 6th class and it went down a treat! This would be done under the supervision of the teacher therefore may not need all the insurance etc.

I think it is a fantastic idea...how about doing it for adults?
I think all the things you've mentioned are over-come-able....Good Luck

Cheers for responses, def not interested in school based classes as I would like to try it from home and be independent and work when the potential kids would be out of school such as saturdays and school holidays.

Will update thread when I make any headway, just want to be on correct side of things. Thanks again.

Lots of people give classes from home e.g. piano, singing, private tuition. Can you contact anyone in your area (see local ads) to have a chat about your queries?

Thanks Rois, have given grinds in my home previously but this would involve up to six kids arriving together and using pins/needles etc so I have the fear insurance would be needed. Have tried three times today to speak to a rep in my home insurance co. but got tired off waiting on the phone. My home insurance policy has the lineI agree that (f) "The home is not used for business or commericial purposes"

The artist in my opening already has a registered business at her home so im assuming is covered for the art classes and she doesn't advertise as she doesn't need to. She has enough business from the local kids in her area.

Anyone out there got actual experience of running small classes from their home and how they manage it. I would be very grateful. Cheers.