Protocol for last minute flights

portboy

I had to take a flight at the very last minute and went out to the airport (Dublin) to book the soonest one to London. There was one going in about 40 mins time and the airline told me they could get me on but they only had business class available. As I needed the flight I said yes. When I boarded the plane there were only 2 others in business class and only 14 on the plane overall. Is this normal practice for last minute flights...I had no choice (for personal reasons) but to take it but I do feel a bit hard done by

Maybe the seats were booked when you were getting your ticket but there were lots of no shows?

the plane had about 60 seats so there would have needed to be about 46 no-shows (about 75%). Very unlikely I would think.

Some airline allow a longer check-in period for business class , could you have been passed the cut off for cattle class ?

At a certain point with some airlines. all seats sold on the day of flight are considered b class as the airlines used claim it meant more paper work

Airlines tend to reduce availabiliy of cheap fares right before departure precisely because they know that people who need to travel at the last minute will pay more - and as your story demonstrates they're normally right about that :)

Back