Protecting trees from deer

Jac

Hi
I planted about 8 young trees last Sept on a site which I intent to build on in the next year or so. I had a look at them over the weekent and alot of the bark has been stripped from them by deer I presume. It is just beside the wood so one would thonk they would have enough trees in there already. Does anyone know how I might protect them or will they die now anyway?

Cheers

I've seen Hares do this to my neighbours trees. A tree surgeon friend of mine told me that if the Bark is cut the entire way round, the tree will die, but if there is still some of it remaining, then it may survive. I may be wrong on this, just something I remember him saying to me.

Anyway, my neighbour, to solve the prob, just wrapped some metall sheeting around the bottom2-3 ft of the trees, so the Hare could nto get at them, solved his prob. When I say wrapped, I mean very loosely, it was about 2-3 inches wider than the tree itself.
Wexfordman

I use this method to protect saplings from hares:
Get a length of four inch drain pipe, cut it in half lengthways and drill holes in each piece for wire.

Then put the drainpipe armour around the tree and fasten the wires.

Yes, I believe the tree will die if it is eaten all the way around. Even if it is not and the tree survives, it will grow badly during the following year.

A friend of my father had this problem several years ago and did some research into it. He discovered that lion urine around the base of the tree is hugely effective in keeping the deer away, as the scent of it apparently is frightening to deer on some primeval level, or something like that. He made enquiries in a perfume factory about synthesising something similar and also in the zoo about obtaining some of the real stuff, but was unsuccessful.

This is absolutely true, told to me by the man himself.

The other alternative ("First, take your lion...") is perhaps a little less likely.

As against that, contact your local authority/council to see what they use to protect saplings against dogs/vandals/etc.

WhoAMI, Surely your fathers mate was taking the p!ss

Sorry, If I did'nt say it, someone else would have!!

Hi
All the earlier comments re protecting trees are correct. Even the bit on lion urine although I am told that lion dung is more effective!!!!!!!
On a more practical level, when the number of trees concerned is small as yours are, the cheapest solution is to get a local handyman to make a simple guard for each tree from light weldmesh, app 2metres in height, circling each tree and thus protecting them from both hares and deer. The height may seem excessive but deer often stand on their hind legs when browsing. If the trees are badly "barked" then it would be best to replace them but only after you have the guards on site for immediate use. If the trees are fully ring barked then they have no hope of survival. Grey squirrels also do serious damage to young trees but not at this time of year. The culprits are most likely deer.

LOL, good to see I am not the only one with this problem!
I planted about 100+ Eucalyptus trees(because deer aren't supposed to eat those)... I think I have about 2 original ones left... so I bought the strongest electric fence energiser(buy and sell €60) I could find and a 0.5Km roll of cheap electric fence twine(€33) and built a 6ft high enclosure and re-grew a new type of Eucalyptus that grew about 6ft in a year! Some guys doing trials in the UK if you're interested ( [broken link removed] )
After a few learning experiences I have managed to keep all deer out for over a year.. and there are ~20 deer that never seem to leave my area!!!
Before this I tried all the store bought repellents etc. and made 2ft high protectors from that yellow drainage pipe, they seem to enjoy waiting for trees to grow so they can nibble on their heads!!!(higher ones of these may work?

Good Luck..