Protecting my finances and getting married

Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act, 2010 confers rights on certain cohabiting couples

Certain rights are acquired under the above legislation after 5 years of cohabiting.

If you have material wealth and are concerned pre-marriage, as I highlighted months ago, settle assets into a discretionary trust.

But is there not a one-off tax of ~6% and an annual tax thereafter on assets of most discretionary trusts. Who would be the trustees. Could you be both a trustee and an object of the discretionary trust. Legally the objects of a discretionary trust do not own the assets until an appointment made. It's about time pre nuptial contracts were afforded full recognition in Irish Law. I think I would then consider marriage myself in the full knowledge that I wouldnt be taken to the cleaners in the event of a subsequent divorce.

It'd be better to keep it simple - stay single until you meet someone with equal or higher net worth

A lot of jargon in this thread. Get a parent to open an account or use an existing account . Make cash lodgements never eft/ online . Obviously don’t tell your future spouse . Go about your business and get married . You will have savings outside of your married estate . Not a long term solution but I am not sure what kind of values your taking about . Failing that either stay single or just be honest and share your wealth

But is there not a one-off tax of ~6% and an annual tax thereafter on assets of most discretionary trusts. Who would be the trustees. Could you be both a trustee and an object of the discretionary trust. Legally the objects of a discretionary trust do not own the assets until an appointment made. It's about time pre nuptial contracts were afforded full recognition in Irish Law. I think I would then consider marriage myself in the full knowledge that I wouldnt be taken to the cleaners in the event of a subsequent divorce.

I’m not a lawyer, but as I understand it Discretionary Trust Tax can only arise if the settlor has died and the beneficiaries are adults...

Back