Pros and cons of rejoining public service/ Approx 30 years Class D PRSI/ recent break of over 6 months

gearoid

Posting this for a friend. Thanks in advance for your attention.

I worked for two different public sector organisations over the past 30 years. I paid Class D PRSI (therefore didnt join 'Single Scheme') in both and worked full time.
When I left I preserved my pensions with both employers. I needed to take some time out over the past few months, therefore ceased employment, and this extends beyond 26 weeks.
I am now considering my next steps and the pros and cons of
- rejoining public sector
- moving to private sector/ self-employment.
My main query is whether a return to public sector would jeopardise my preserved Class D-based pension and retirement age (60 - 65)?
I realise that any new public sector employment would require that I join the single scheme.
From research I have done, including on this forum, it seems to hinge on the interpretation of s.21 of S.I. No 582 of 2014 S.I. No. 582/2014 - Rules for Pre-existing Public Service Pension Scheme Members Regulations 2014. (irishstatutebook.ie) which states...
21. Split Pensions in the Scheme
(1) A new entrant who is entitled to preserved benefits payable at age 60 in respect of earlier service as a member, or a fully insured member who is entitled to preserved benefits as a member during which service he or she was not fully insured, may opt to retain entitlement to the preserved benefits subject to—
(a) payment of the preserved pension not commencing before the date on which his or her membership of the Scheme ceases,
My interpretation of this is that
- I could return to public sector, join the Single Scheme, not transfer previous Class D service to new employment (preserving previous service separately)
- I would accrue Class A contributions in new employment and could potentially gain entitlement to contributory pension
- I would not be able to access Class D-based pension until/ unless I left (retired/ resigned from) new employment in public sector

Questions
1. Is my interpretation above correct?
2. How long would I have to accrue Class A contributions to become entitled to state pension?
3. Are there any particular advantages for me to joining public v private sector?

Friend is 57 years old.

They have at most 6 weeks at PRSI class A from a summer job in the late 1980s.

The rest of their employment has been public sector Class D starting 1991.

If they rejoin the public sector they still get there preserved pension and lump sum at age 60. However they may be subject to pensionabatement. If working in private sector no abatement applies.

2. Tell them to check their Prsi record. They could have a few years of class A from pre establishment.

They would need 260 class A to qualify for a pro rata pension.
If they gain 520 class A they would qualify for a pension calculated under Total contributions or Averaging methods.

If they decide to retire early and have AVCs, they could gain extra pensionable class S Prsi contributions if they set up an ARF.

Back