Pros And Cons of "Pecks Lane in Castleknock", Vs "Laraghcon in Lucan"

V

volaoya

I will appreciate comments on above Title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Pros And Cons Of Pecks Lane Against Laraghcon

Wheres Pecks Lane? Pros and cons in relation to what?

Deedee

Apologies for lack of clarity..

I am considering purchasing a property. And i am now posed with two choices Pecks lane, castleknock and laraghcon in Lucan.

I am trying to sample opinion here, the difference in purchase price is about 35K. I know this is not comparing like items,the choice would be easier if this was just about me alone.

Property Description

Castleknock - 4 bed, 1 bath ( Semi detached, own garden and drive way). Acceptable condition.
Laraghcon - 5 bed , 3 bath ( Town House and allocated parking)

Consideration,
Plan to leave in chosen area for at least 5 years
Traffic, Schools, Property Value (How well they hold their value).

I just need some thought flow to help decide which way to sway..

Hi Valaoya,

I live in Lucan so can offer an opinion on Laraghcon but I'm afraid I don't know much about Pecks Lane in Castleknock. I will try to be as unbiased as possible.

Where will you be travelling to work?

If you only plan on staying in Pecks Lane for 5 years would the 'acceptable' condition of the house be ok for you, as you would not really want to invest a lot of money in a house you plan on leaving quite soon?

I *Love* Laraghcon. In my personal opinion, visually the estate is gorgeous, there is a real air of luxury. However I believe the sound insulation is very poor in the houses, not sure on the build quality. You are in the catchment area for the best schools (so I'm told) so that should be ok and the houses in laraghcon really seem to be holding their value even with the market at the mo, and are always quite sought after. Internally, any that I have seen are decorated beautifully. You are right beside the village and there is a large green area beside the estate. Traffic can be backed up around the village but my experience of castleknock traffic wise would be the same (used to live near there.) Luas supposed to be coming to Lucan some time in the next 3-4 years.

I just looked up pecks lane and houses look like nice solid house for life types and if this is what you are looking for then I reckon it could be a good option. If you work on the train line this could be something to consider if you were coming from Castleknock. Also there is the possibility to add value to a house like this. Unfortunately I can't really comment on the estate only that Castleknock would be very nice.

Pecks lane is no use to you if you want to use the train - but the 37 bus stops at the end of the road. Most of the houses are 30 years old plus - and from your comments are in need of upgrading/serious decoration. Laraghcon is a new estate - I've no idea what the houses are like but the area looks lovely and is right beside the strawberry beds.

Pecks Lane is in the middle of Castleknock Village, there are plenty of shops etc, the national school would be less than a ten minute walk away. Castleknock College and Mount Sackville are the nearest secondary schools. Castleknock Community College is not that much further away, and you are in the catchment area for it. The Castleknock gates to the Phoenix Park are five minutes from the bottom of Pecks Lane.

If you are travelling onto town by car, you are already past a lot of the traffic coming from Blanchardstown and Carpenterstown, and would probably get to O'Connell Bridge in 30 minutes most mornings (bar the rainy lets all drive mornings that we have in this country from time to time)

Regards,

Past 30

Why is Pecks Lane no good for the train? It can't be more than 15mins anywhere on Pecks lane to the Castleknock/Blanchardstown train station. You can cycle into O'Connell Bridge in 30mins, or drive. The 37 goes all over the place, its probably 40/60mins into town on that. No idea what the times are in from Lucan, but I'm guessing its longer, though you have a more direct bus route.

You can be in the catchment for a school but still not get in if its oversubscribed, at least not the year you want to get into. That certainly is the case in D.15, dunno about Lucan.

As for house values who knows. Have a look at prices over the past 2 years in these areas and make an educated guess. Consider the Metro and other other plans.

I'd suggest its more than a fifteen minute walk to Castleknock Train Station from the bottom of Pecks Lane, but I could be wrong. A 20 minute walk to the train is fine on a day like today, but on a cold and wet morning it would be pretty miserable.

I agree that the 37 goes all over the place.

Depending on what part of Peck's Lane, Phoenix Park Station may be closer - I'm guessing a 10 minute walk. The part of Peck's Lane towards Castleknock Village would be a good 15 minute walk from Castleknock Station.

The 37 goes right past Castleknock Rd, and the 39 route is being altered to avail of the Bus lane on the Navan Road.

Last edited:
Pecks lane is a great location. It's a 10 minute walk from Castleknock village, it's quiet and it's very close to the M50.
It's also much closer to the city centre and close to the Phoenix park.

From the very furthest end of Pecks lane from the station. On the Dublin Walk/Cycle Planner.

To: Castleknock Station
Distance: 1.735 km Time: 20 minutes

To: Phoenix Park Station
Distance: 1.691 km Time: 20 minutes

or

To: Phoenix Park Station
Distance: 1.229 km Time: 14 minutes

If you can't walk 20mins, you're in a bad way, and perhaps should be out walking. Its Ireland not the Rain Forest of the Amazon. We don't even get heavy rain here. Cut it half if you cycle an old crock of a bike to it. But really if you can't manage a 20min walk with an unbrella, or a 10min cycle with a rain coat. Thats pretty bad.

People should be doing 30mins to an hour walking minimum a day.

All very true

I know Pecks Lane very well. 37 in the morning is a 5 minute walk from the furthest point on Pecks Lane. Max. It is easy to get and takes anywhere between 25 minutes to however long. I would say on average the journey time over the year would be 35 minutes. The area is lovely. The train is a 15 minute walk. Possibly shorter if you cut thru the trees. The 39 and 38 are also available within 5 minute walk.

I know Laricon, and I would choose Pecks Lane over it any day of the week. Its much better on location and it is very quiet and you got the Phoenix Pakr beside you and if you go thru the park you can cycle to town in 20 minutes

Those times seem a touch optimistic. But then maybe you're really fast on a bike, and far luckier in traffic than I am. I get every red light, bus or car.

10 years of busing and cycling. You can get to town on a bike in 20 minutes, cos its all downhill, coming home its 35 minutes. Also I am basing those times on buses between 7:30 and 9:00 leaving from Castleknock Road (near Georgian Village)