Proprietary Director Mortgage Options

time to plan

We are coming to the end of my 5 year fixed rate with BoI in December, and will wait until the end for our 5 year cashback.

I am also approaching the point where I will have two years of company accounts as a proprietary director. From what I can see, the main mortgage providers look for 2 years' company accounts, except AIB, which look for 3 years.

My preference would be AIB or Avant for remortgaging, looking at their combinations of fixed rates and overpayment facilities. My questions are:

1. Has anyone had any luck with getting AIB to be flexible on 3 years' accounts (my company has its accounts with AIB)?
2. Has anyone any experience - positive or negative - of getting a mortgage from Avant with 2 years' company accounts?
3. Does it complicate matters if I have a business partner (not a spouse) who owns 50% of company, rather than my being the sole director.

For context, the mortgage will be for €230k, 1.5 x my income, 40% LTV.

Thanks

For context, the mortgage will be for €230k, 1.5 x my income, 40% LTV.

I suspect that both will give your application serious consideration. They might stick to their rules for 3.5 times a self-employed income and 90% LTV.

In your case, you might be better going to a broker who would present your case in the best possible light.

Brendan

I cannot answer the other questions, but on "Does it complicate matters if I have a business partner (not a spouse) who owns 50% of company, rather than my being the sole director." I've taken out mortgages through BOI and KBC as a proprietary Director, I've never been asked anything about the other owners of the company.

Thanks Brendan. That's a good idea,.

It might be good to get a Key Post for Sole Trader / Proprietary Directory mortgages. There are a lot of us around.

Not a bad idea @time to plan.

FWIW this is what I was asked for when applying for a joint mortgage with BOI where I was a proprietary Director, my wife is a regular PAYE worker. I've only included what seemed to be extra as a Directory, we both had to provide the usual proof of savings, identity, personal income, other debt etc
  • Confirmation of personal tax affairs (one of)
    • An accountant's written confirmation that your tax affairs are up-to-date. This must be on your accountant's headed paper and note the accountant's qualifications.
    • A copy of your most recent tax return (Form 11 /12) from the Revenue Commissioners along with the corresponding revenue balancing statement confirming all your taxes are full paid.
  • Proof of self-employed income (says ONE of but ultimately ended up needing to provide all)
    • Business bank statements for the last 6 months
    • Audited business accounts for the last 2 years
    • A copy of your most recent tax return (Form 11/12 ) from the Revenue Commissioners confirming gross income along with the corresponding revenue balancing statement confirming all your taxes are full paid
  • Letter from Accountant confirming what, if any, impact Covid has had on your business
  • Last 6 months draft set of accounts for the business (to cover gap between last submitted accounts and today)
  • Proof of business accounts
  • Letter from Accountant confirming business 2020 performance/turn over/ net profit (because last years accounts not yet submitted to CRO)
It's a fair bit of hassle to get some of this information in a larger business, and it took BOI a while to come back and forwards, but ultimately it was all accepted.

I was asked for all above and only thing extra was a statement in relation to any personal guarantees I had made in relation to company debts or credit accounts, I think it was a single page “I have provided no personal guarantees in relation to the company finances” or some such

ICS will on Monday have a fixed rate of 1.95% for <60% LTV, and only require 2 years of accounts, but appear to have worse overpayment terms than Avant.

Last edited:
KBC asked for info on PGs, BOI strangely didn’t.
BOI are worth considering for proprietary directors without 2 years of accounts. 5 years ago, I went through a 'Mobile Mortgage Manager' who helped present the case although I had only set up my company 3 months previously and had no accounts.

ICS will on Monday have a fixed rate of 1.95% for <60% LTV, and only require 2 years of accounts, but appear to have worse overpayment terms than Avant.
Not sure about 'worse', but it depends on circumstances.

ICS allow 20% overpayment per annum without a break fee, but only as a single lump sum.

Avant allow 10%, by up to 2 overpayments per annum.
The real benefit with Avant is that the break fee is capped at 2% of the amount overpaid.

Have I read it wrong? I thought ICS allow a 20% overpayment but Avant allow a 10% payment of outstanding debt.

Coming back to this belatedly, looks like Avant is the option we'll use. I understand we need a broker. Can anyone recommend one for a remortgage? Are there any material differences between them in terms of efficiency or cost to me?

Coming back to this belatedly, looks like Avant is the option we'll use. I understand we need a broker. Can anyone recommend one for a remortgage? Are there any material differences between them in terms of efficiency or cost to me?
No cost to you, Avant publish the list of approved brokers they will work with.