Property Tax - Will you pay?

Pope John 11

With the new budget cuts on the way, its now looking like the Government will be introducing a Property Tax.

1. What are the chances of those who have already paid a life's worth of Property Tax (Stamp Duty) being made exempt from paying such an additional Tax?

2. Have you paid a life's worth of Property Tax (Stamp Duty) - Yes/No

and if so

3. Are you willing to pay this additional Property Tax if it is imposed on you?

I'd be happier if the media stopped mentioning Stamp Duty along with property taxes. I pay a purchase tax when I buy a car and an annual tax on using the car. This is the same, except for property.

So in that same taken, yes stamp duty paid, but no I don't consider it a lifetime of property tax as they are different entities.

However, I'd be even happier if when referencing reports that recommend Property Tax, the government referenced the whole report, especially the bit where it recommends changes should be tax neutral.

But we're still at the low hanging fruit of the IMF deal, this will probably be the last bit of revenue generation through taxation and will be the last easy bit to sort out.

1. Yes, people who have paid a lot of SD should be given some sort of reduction in property tax.

NO, exempt, as I was an FTB.

and if so

Yes, I am a strong supporter of property taxes.

I've paid over €100'000 in stamp duty over the years but I see no link between this, a transaction tax, and a property tax.
Yes, I will pay it. Property tax is a good idea. It keeps property prices low and generates steady income for the state.

I'm happy to pay property taxes but wish that the money was spent where it was collected.

'Property tax'.

The name really is incidental.

It is a charge we will be forced to pay to people, generally billionaires, who took risks with their vast wealth. Instead of the billionaires losing their money, the Irish government has decided that we will all pay.

There is always a choice of not paying.
- civil disobedience
- civil unrest and riots
- revolution
- paradigm shift
or
- simple immigration.

1. What are the chances of those who have already paid a life's worth of Property Tax (Stamp Duty) being made exempt from paying such an additional Tax?

No chance.

No the plan is to buy sometime next year.

How do you define a life's worth?

and if so

I've paid any taxes / charges so far and don't see that changing.

'Property tax'.

The name really is incidental.

It is a charge we will be forced to pay to people, generally billionaires, who took risks with their vast wealth. Instead of the billionaires losing their money, the Irish government has decided that we will all pay.

There is always a choice of not paying.
- civil disobedience
- civil unrest and riots
- revolution
- paradigm shift
or
- simple immigration.
Rubbish.
The people who took the risks were a cross section of people from all walks of life. They took out massive loans, bought properties as speculators, took a punt on shares, blackmailed the Irish state into giving them pay increases that were unsustainable, elected governments who eroded the tax base and engaged in pro-cyclical economic policies.

Anyway, none of that is an argument for or against a property tax. Anything that reduces transaction taxes (particularly capital transaction taxes) and increases steady current taxes is a good thing. If we had a property tax over the last 10 years we could have used it to control property prices in the way that we used to use interest rates. Then again we would have had to get rid of the populist invertebrate who was running the country during that time and replaced his with someone who was willing to do the right thing.

Actually umop3p!sdn is right. It's completely irrelevant that the angry 99% are all from the 5% wealthiest in the world, that has nothing to do with it, nor does €200 a year property taxation.

I can just imagine the rest of the 95% (who the 99% of the 5% actively campaign to stop corporations setting up in their countries and providing employment) would get behind our civil disobedience and unrest in full sympathy of our woes.

Actually umop3p!sdn is right. It's completely irrelevant that the angry 99% are all from the 5% wealthiest in the world, that has nothing to do with it, nor does €200 a year property taxation.

I can just imagine the rest of the 95% (who the 99% of the 5% actively campaign to stop corporations setting up in their countries and providing employment) would get behind our civil disobedience and unrest in full sympathy of our woes.

:D
Good point!

Purple, here is who we are being forced to pay:

€700m of our money was given to these people earlier this week.
I'm not referring to someone who bought a house at the peak of the bubble and are still paying off their mortgage, or even Mr McSavvy that bought 5 houses for speculation.

This is where your 'property tax' is going.

Purple, it's where our money is ultimately ending up. Taxes and charges are being increased and introduced and savage cut backs are taking place. All this is happening so that we can pay these bond holders. That's the ultimate goal. Of course some of the taxation is to run the country, but we've always had that.

Just think about it for a minute. We all know that that the country is 'living beyond it's means' :rolleyes:, but how the hell do we suddenly owe hundreds of billions? where did all of all that money come from/disappear too? Did we suddenly give people on the dole free new cars, or start paying public sector people with gold bullion?

The scale just does not make sense at all.

What is very telling about this whole situation is the lack of clarity. Here we are arguing about where this money is going, when it should have been made clear. When Mr Kenny was asked who the bond holders were, this is what he said
"I do not know the names of the bondholders," he added. "I have no intention of getting on the phone to (Anglo chairman) Mr Dukes."
source:http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives...lo-bond-repaid-amid-dail-walk-out-526776.html

Now, why did he say that? It wouldn't sound too good to start reeling off the names of various billionaires etc, now would it?

Indeed I did read the article. Plucking a few Michael Smurfit-types from the very long list of institutions doesn't alter my point that to a large extent we are talking about ordinary people's pension funds.

Indeed I did read the article. Plucking a few Michael Smurfit-types from the very long list of institutions doesn't alter my point that to a large extent we are talking about ordinary people's pension funds.

Strange. I thought ordinary people's pension funds were being hammered.
These bonds holders are getting all their money back.

Not all funds are invested in equities (which have indeed got hammered). Bonds form a significant part of many pension portfolios.

Back