Property purchased in 2013- who is responsible for the Land registry maps

mccoypat94

Recieved a letter last week from my solictor. Bought a premises back in 2013, distressed property sold by the bank . Difficult sale, took almost 12 months to complete.

However my solictor tells me now that land registry require a map to be drawn to deal with a query they have on an adjoining property. Room over an archway shared right of way.

Of course this falls to muggins to engage ,and worst of all pay an engineer/architect.
Why is this the case, that 5 years on I have to pay for something that the vendor surely should have had to provide?

This web page gives a good overview on the requirements to register rights of way.

However my solictor tells me now that land registry require a map to be drawn to deal with a query they have on an adjoining property. Room over an archway shared right of way.

Who benefits from the rights of way, you or your neighbour? I suspect it is you which is why your solicitor is pushing to resolve this matter. That being the case you have no option but engage an engineer to do the survey and draw up the required documentation at your expense.

Why is this the case, that 5 years on I have to pay for something that the vendor surely should have had to provide?

Unfortunately the vendor in the majority of cases will do the minimum required to complete the sale. The onus is on you as the purchaser to ensure you have everything you might need in place prior to completing the purchase.

I'm sure you wouldn't like to be on the hook forever to provide such proof or evidence to any purchasers of property you have sold on, so it works both ways.